Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 Laredo - domino effect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1994 Laredo - domino effect?

Hi, I have 2 jeeps this one is also giving me ulcers. although this one is more of a passenger jeep where my other is more of a jeep jeep, it gets better gas mileage, but after sinking $1,000 into it I am about to junk it.
seems in the past 2 years and I have had it for 9, everything is going wrong, replaced, axels, computer, radiator, waterpump, all the basics, shocks and tune up stuff, battery, injectors cleaned, fuel pump tested..wires, etc, #1 my airbag light has come on. stays on. I was told my airbag is disabled with it on, and no one but a dealer is willing to mess with it. #2. at first the occasional starting problem WAS the alarm system, but since it has been disabled, now just cranks. #3 before it decided to not start completely..it started not wanting to shift automatically. argh the garage got no codes but when I did the engine light codes myself, I got speed sensor and map sensor. it did not bring up any other error codes. mechanic said map sensor will not keep it from starting, is that true? q's..... I read in a few forums that a faulty airbag will disable it from starting? my mechanic said that was hogwash. I am getting no spark. fuel yeh. had the injectors cleaned just incase it was poor pressure and pump checked. by all these posts I been reading no gaurantee replacing the tcm or cps will fix it. this seems to be a major Jeep problem. and no one knows for sure, could be a sensor a module, a bad wire, some have thought they fixed it, it would run for a month or so then break down again. so what is going on with that? has anyone truely figured out why these jeeps just all of a sudden decide, not to start? 180,000 miles... ya think it is worth sinking any more money into it? man I miss the old school engines, no alarms to screw things up, very little electronics, so much easier to fix. and cheaper. so I guess I am looking for some sure fire "tests" before I spend more money. no more guessing and replacing this and that. please anyone can suggest how I can test diagnose these potential problems without involving an expensive mechanic. thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default reply to guy getting ulcer

check your grounds and in jeeps with working computers cps is king of no starts good luck and never give up on your jeep