Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 Cherokee 4.0- transmission cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1994 Cherokee 4.0- transmission cooler lines

Alright, so I had a leak on one of my trans cooler lines and I decided to replace it. However once I disconnected it and tried to reconnect the new one to the transmission side, it did not want to connect, and still does not. The side that connects to the top of the radiator went back on with no problems. So my question I guess would be: am I doing something wrong? It’s the end that has a retaining clip on it with a small gasket Also on the end. I tried different angles but It does not want to go in. I’m thinking that maybe I’m missing another part that connects to the end fitting? Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mike10
Alright, so I had a leak on one of my trans cooler lines and I decided to replace it. However once I disconnected it and tried to reconnect the new one to the transmission side, it did not want to connect, and still does not. The side that connects to the top of the radiator went back on with no problems. So my question I guess would be: am I doing something wrong? It’s the end that has a retaining clip on it with a small gasket Also on the end. I tried different angles but It does not want to go in. I’m thinking that maybe I’m missing another part that connects to the end fitting? Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Mike
They are tricky to connect on that end. I recommend the following:
1) make sure the o rings and spacer are in properly and not out of place.
2) keep the line loose (ie dont screw in the brackets that keep it in place along the line)
3) you can use a pliers to angle and insert it properly. The angle that it naturally wants to go in is not perfectly straight so you need to angle it properly.
4) if it still wont go and stay in, try getting a new connector. There are aftermarket fix it connectors for these and it works well. When i have more time i can dig up the pn if someone else doesnt beat me to it.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response
I was able to solve the issue by buying a new transmission line connector Part # 800-714
ill I had to do was swap out the old one with a 7/8 socket and screw in the new one. Then the line clipped in perfectly.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mike10
Thanks for the response
I was able to solve the issue by buying a new transmission line connector Part # 800-714
ill I had to do was swap out the old one with a 7/8 socket and screw in the new one. Then the line clipped in perfectly.
Awesome! Glad you figured it out.