Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1993 Cherokee dies when hitting certain bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Angry 1993 Cherokee dies when hitting certain bumps.

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ. If I hit a certain type of bump on the passenger side the Jeep shuts off. I have replaced all battery cables, checked and replaced ground, relays, sensors, ignition coil, ignition switch, checked for exposed wires, broken wires, replaced distributor, prayed over it, burnt sage to rid it of evil spirits, crossed my fingers and still, hit a bump and it dies like I shut it off. Fuel pressure is not lost, nothing electrical shuts off except... ignition. Has anyone had an issue like this? If so what did you do? This is my 15th Cherokee XJ and I have rebuilt them from one end to the other. Stumped!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,070 Likes on 859 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

I had that once on a 93 Grand Cherokee. It would die and by the time I towed it to my house, it would fire right back up. No codes at all and nothing showing on the dash. It was like someone turned off the ignition. After the 4th time it stayed dead and I was finally able to figure out the engine computer was losing it's ground. All the engine computer grounds converged into a single ground wire running to the battery. It had a corroded splice that was pinched under the battery.

If yours won't stay dead, try wiggling and whacking everything over on that side to localize it better.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hi Tim. First, we will need fully verifiable, bulletproof verification that this is indeed your 15th Cherokee. Without full confirmation no pertinent information can be provided. BUT, in the meantime if our people are not too busy they may , (or may not) verify that you did, or didn't try making sure the the ground strap from the back of the head to the firewall has less than one ohm resistance, the cable from the engine to Bat Neg, and the cluster of grounds at your dipstick mount also show around an ohm to the frame and battery neg, (that sensor ground would be from the MAP and/or TPS grounds), Further information requests will be fed to our service department. (they are servicing something else with a rather large horse at the moment)

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-22-2019 at 10:36 PM.