Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ used transmission. What should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry 98 XJ used transmission. What should I look out for?

So the transmission died on my 98 XJ today (bellhousing is cracked at the starter, and it started dumping transmission fluid onto the exhaust...and now won't move at all)...and I was lucky enough to find a used one, also from a 98 XJ 4x4, down the road from me from 150 bucks (Craigslist find).

The owner said he bought it used to install in a Jeep shell he had, and never got around to it. So there is no guarantee that this one is any good. What should I inspect on it before buying it? What should I look out for? Mine isn't even really rebuildable, since the bellhousing is cracked where the starter mounts up, unless I want to buy a new bellhousing AND pay the cheapest shop around here 2000.00 to rebuild mine...which we can't afford.

Is there any way to check a transmission out of vehicle for major telltale signs of trouble?

Thanks!

Kev
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,068 Likes on 858 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)

The AW4 is usually a pretty robust transmission. I'm still impressed that you somehow managed to crack the case. I wouldn't sweat too much on a used one. Give the dipstick or oil a smell, and if it smells nasty burnt (think burnt hair, nauseating smell), walk away.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
The AW4 is usually a pretty robust transmission. I'm still impressed that you somehow managed to crack the case. I wouldn't sweat too much on a used one. Give the dipstick or oil a smell, and if it smells nasty burnt (think burnt hair, nauseating smell), walk away.
I think the case was already cracked for a while, maybe even since before I bought the XJ a couple of years ago, and cracked even worse when I took it off road the other day (mildly I might add...lol!).

So aside from transmission fluid smell, leaks, and cracks, anything else I should be on the lookout for? The seller said it doesn't have the torque converter anymore...and since I don't want to reuse mine (in case that is a part that failed), O'Reilly's has them, brand new, for 149.99...so I'll be getting a new one of those anyway.

And regarding putting in a new torque converter...I have to fill it up with Dexron first, right? Will there be a fill/drain plug somewhere on the new one?

Thanks!

Kev

Last edited by ClydesdaleKevin; 03-23-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 AM

So the old transmission in our Jeep XJ is almost out...and we picked up the used transmission yesterday, as well as a new torque converter. The used transmission seems to be in great condition...the seals are still pliable, the shaft turns, and the fluid is red and smells fine.

Today I'll be pulling the old one the rest of the way, and hopefully getting this "new" one installed completely...maybe even have the Jeep operational again by this evening.

Fingers crossed!

Kev
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by ClydesdaleKevin
So the old transmission in our Jeep XJ is almost out...and we picked up the used transmission yesterday, as well as a new torque converter. The used transmission seems to be in great condition...the seals are still pliable, the shaft turns, and the fluid is red and smells fine.

Today I'll be pulling the old one the rest of the way, and hopefully getting this "new" one installed completely...maybe even have the Jeep operational again by this evening.

Fingers crossed!

Kev
Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!
I got everything but the top two bolts disconnected...and couldn't find my inverted E-12 torx socket (I know I used to have one). So I ended up waiting for my friend to swing by, and we went out and bought another one, plus transmission fluid and blue lock tite.

And then we stopped at the gun shop...so that killed the rest of the day...lol! I did score an awesome Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum with a Nikon scope though...lol!

Anyhow, tomorrow I'll get an early start and hopefully be ready to go before dark!

Kev
Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

And then we stopped at the gun shop...so that killed the rest of the day...lol! I did score an awesome Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum with a Nikon scope though...lol!
Ahh - priorities!

Personally, I cannot wait to get out of this accursed state of MA and move to NH where folks are free from the tyranny of MA firearms laws, the rogue AG and having to beg permission to exercise fundamental constitutional rights!
Old 03-27-2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Ahh - priorities!

Personally, I cannot wait to get out of this accursed state of MA and move to NH where folks are free from the tyranny of MA firearms laws, the rogue AG and having to beg permission to exercise fundamental constitutional rights!
I hear ya bro! I grew up in Connecticut...which is why I live in Arizona now.

Kev
Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 PM

Good grief! Transmissions are hard!

So I picked up the used transmission for 150 bucks for our 98 Cherokee. Earl, the guy I bought it from, bought the transmission from eBay, and when he bought it, the eBay seller said it was from a 98. He never ended up using it and it sat in his garage for years. It was NOT from a 98 or newer!!! It had to have been from a much older model.

One would think that an AW4 transmission from a Jeep Cherokee would be pretty much compatible with EVERY year Jeep Cherokee with very little modification, right? WRONG!

After '97, they added more sensors, increased the size of the output shaft from 21 spline to 23 spline, changed the plug connectors, and even changed some sort of speed sensor in the transfer case adapter on the transmission tail cone, which happens to NOT be easily transferred from one transmission to the next, because the internals on the transmission side don't line up with the internals of the later transfer cases! What the heck?

Anyhow, I got an early start this morning. And by noon realized that there was simply NO way that this transmission was going to fit in my '98! The splined shaft was smaller, the plug ends were different with different numbers of wires, the kickdown linkage was different, etc.

So I cleaned up and called Earl, the older retired gentleman that sold me the used transmission. And gentleman he was! Integrity like his is hard to come by anymore! He told me to bring the transmission back to him, and he refunded my 150.00 bucks!

I had found another used transmission for 300.00 on Craigslist the same time I found this one, and it was from a 99...totally compatible with the 98. I talked the seller down to 250.00...so me and my buddy Will went down to Earl's and returned the wrong transmission, and then drove all the way to north Phoenix, 120 mile round trip, to see and possibly pick up the 99 transmission. And pick it up we did!

It was on a pallet at D&M Automotive, who had done an LS swap for the original owner of the '99 Cherokee from which the transmission was removed. They assured me not only of the year, but also that it had been running just fine when they pulled it to make the swap. The torque converter was even still in place and had never been removed. It was NOT drained of ATF fluid though...so in addition to the gas money I gave Will, I slipped him some more to clean out the bed of his truck at a car wash.

Upon arrival I counted the output shaft splines...23! And even though two of the wire harnesses had been cut, they were the right number of wires and the right color wires (I had cut off/unplugged the old two harnesses from my old transmission and brought them with me to match them up).

Success! We brought it back to camp, and I spent the rest of the day transferring parts, splicing in wires, installing the transfer case, etc. I also made a keeper from an old table saw wrench to keep the torque converter in place while installing the transmission.

I got everything switched over and ready to install before dark. It is now sitting under the Jeep on a piece of plywood, ready to be reinstalled...which will happen tomorrow, come hell or highwater.

A couple of things I noticed removing the old transmission: Youtube videos aren't perfect! I watched a slew of videos on changing out the transmission, and not a single one mentioned a bolt that holds on the UPPER aluminum sheet metal shield between the engine and bellhousing! I'm just glad it was sheet aluminum and eventually broke at the bolt hole while I was rocking the transmission back and forth trying to remove the darn thing! Also, not a single video mentioned removing the kickdown linkage on the driver's side...but that I figured out right away using some common sense.

And on the brightest side of this project? I don't have to use the brand new torque converter! So I'll get my money back, which was substantial for us and our limited budget, once I bring it back!

So wish us luck tomorrow folks! I still have to line everything up and get the transmission to seat against the engine and bolt it all up, etc. Fun fun fun!!!

Kev
Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 PM

WOW that was a lot of work!

The used transmission is installed! Thank God my buddy Will was over in my workshop building catapults...because having him help get the transmission on the scrapwood cradle I made for transmission on his rolling jack was incredibly helpful. I probably could have gotten it up there myself, but having a big strong 28 year old help made it so much easier! He also helped me get it all lined up and bolted in place before he went back to work on the catapults.

Almost everything is done. All the wiring and breather tubes and cables and linkages are reinstalled neatly, the dipstick tube and dipstick are back in place, the torque converter bolts are installed, the torque converter cover plate is back in place, the crossmember is installed, etc.

It did take me almost 2 hours to get the exhaust flange studs out of the header flange (which I had to cut in order to get the exhaust header pipe off...and I had to grind and drill and hammer and torch and grind some more and hammer some more...and finally they came out.

There is still a little left to do tomorrow:

-I have to install the starter, and find a nut and bolt to replace the one that was missing.

-I have to install the exhaust, and also find bolts and nuts to replace the studs I had to remove from the header flange.

-I have to grease and install the driveshafts.

-I have to drain any remaining fluid out of the transmission.

-I have to add the right amount of ATF-4+ (Dexron compatible) to the transmission and transfer case.

-I have to hook the battery back up.

-And then I have to cross my fingers and pray that it runs and drives and that the transmission I just installed is good. And then I have to take it for a test drive, and possibly have to adjust the shift cable, etc.

So if all goes well and I don't have any issues tomorrow, and if I get an early start (which I will), I should have it back up and running by noon! Woohoo!

WOW am I sore and tired! Transmission are hard!

Kev
Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Maybe 1998 is different, but on my 1992 the bolts for the exhaust are a part of the pipe. The nuts are removed, though. Also, the starter just has two bolts and no nuts. Maybe I'm misremembering or maybe the vehicles are a good bit different.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

I hear ya bro! I grew up in Connecticut...which is why I live in Arizona now.

Kev
My Jeep came from CT. AZ is beautiful - I can't wait to visit someday.
I'd be long gone from MA if I didn't own the house - as such with the repairs it's still a good year or two that I'm stuck here. It's a tease though since I'm not even 10 miles from the border of NH.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Glad to hear the tranny swap is going well - they're always a PITA. I bought a proper tranny jack for doing the clutch on my 95 after fighting with the jack mounted style the last time around. It did not make it easier by any measurable amount - still a pain.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by gat
Maybe 1998 is different, but on my 1992 the bolts for the exhaust are a part of the pipe. The nuts are removed, though. Also, the starter just has two bolts and no nuts. Maybe I'm misremembering or maybe the vehicles are a good bit different.
Yep. The bolts WERE a part of the pipe, and I could not get the nuts to budge AT ALL. They ended up rounded off, so I had to cut them with my cutting wheel...and THEN I realized that they were studs pressed into the exhaust flange. Too late! And it was NOT easy to get those rusted in studs out of the flange!

Kev
Old 03-30-2019, 12:38 AM

VICTORY!!!

I did it!!!

I successfully installed an automatic transmission for the first time in my 50 years on this planet, and it works!!!

Not only does it work, but the high speed vibration is GONE on the Jeep!!!

The bellhousing must have been cracked for a while, possibly since I acquired this Jeep around 2 years ago. Now there is no hesitation, the shifts are WAY smoother (after I adjusted the kickdown linkage and dialed in the shift cable and transfer case linkage). There is no longer any high speed "vroom...vrum" vibrations which I thought was the drive shafts! SWEET!!!

I am a very happy camper, and very proud of myself...lol! I know a lot of you guys are ace mechanics...but to me, installing an automatic transmission successfully is a HUGE milestone!

I drove it all over this evening to run errands (since I didn't finish up until 3pm this afternoon...I had to get groceries and stuff for our last weekend at the Arizona Renfaire)...and so far, it is running great! Shifts are crisp and clean, and all seems well. Not a sign of dripping fluid or leaks.

SWEET!!!

Clean-up sucked, as usual. Wiping down tools, getting everything put away, etc. The most onerous job of any project.

But I did it!!! And it works!!!

Our 98 XJ is back on the road, and road worthy!!!

Kev

Quick Reply: 98 XJ used transmission. What should I look out for?