Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo cranks but no start

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, with the inline 6 4.0l engine. Recently we did a motor swap, and swapped it with the same motor. The motor that was dropped in for sure runs, took it out of a Jeep I was driving prior but that Jeep was rusted out so just used the motor from it. Alternator, and battery both only a couple months old, maybe 3 months. Spark plugs and wires brand new. CPS is fairly new, idle air control valve is brand new as well. Prior to the motor swap, my old motor ran rough, sometimes idle was low and sometimes high, took a bit to crank it sometimes, but being that the motor had issues I decided to swap it with one I knew was pretty much good. Once the Jeep was put back together after the swap, we have tried numerous times to crank it but all it does is crank...crank...crank, but won't actually run. The distributor is good. Spark, fuel pressure, and compression are all there but they are all weak. The fuel pump works as well too. I've sprayed starter fluid in the intake several times and still only cranks but won't actually turn over and run or even try to run. I've checked everything I can think of for the past week and truly have no idea what else it could be other than the PCM. Prior to the motor swap my PCM had the voltage regulator go out so I just got an external Voltage regulator and ran it with the new alternator and never had anymore charging issues. The only two things I can think would be the issue now is the electrical connector to the IACV does have 2 bare wires that I plan to replace tomorrow, and lastly the PCM is the only other thing I can think of. Any ideas anyone?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:37 PM

I have a couple thoughts and questions

Hows your engine ground to firewall look?
also faulty map sensor or TPS can have similar effect
Can you switch the ignition coil with old one to see if newer coil is bad
were you able to follow the map sensor routing diagram on the firewall ?
Sometimes fuel pressure can test good at the rail but an injector can be clogged

Last edited by Smokey Joe XJ; 06-16-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Joe XJ
I have a couple thoughts and questions

Hows your engine ground to firewall look?
also faulty map sensor or TPS can have similar effect
Can you switch the ignition coil with old one to see if newer coil is bad
were you able to follow the map sensor routing diagram on the firewall ?
I actually upgraded the ground from the engine to the firewall to 0gauge and have a good connection. The coil idea you had, I've tried that as well. Only thing I havent done is the map sensor and tps. Is there a way exactly to test both of those sensors???
Old 06-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Yes its called your 5V Reference test system . Your going to use a multimeter to check your reference system for the circuit that is 5v.
There is a three part youtube video you may want to look at
part one is about the 5v test that starts at one minute mark
Good luck let me know what you think

and remember the "cam" sensor he's talking about is the magnetic pickup in your distributor for this model

Last edited by Smokey Joe XJ; 06-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Joe XJ
Yes its called your 5V Reference test system . Your going to use a multimeter to check your reference system for the circuit that is 5v.
There is a three part youtube video you may want to look at
part one is about the 5v test that starts at one minute mark
Good luck let me know what you think

and remember the "cam" sensor he's talking about is the magnetic pickup in your distributor for this model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-d6-jrGidA
Sorry for the late response. I did the 5v test and narrowed it down to the IACV. Checked my wires and the IACV electrical connector was pretty much shredded and bad wiring. Got the connector from the junkyard, sodered it in and tried to crank it, and Bam it crunk up. Thanks for your help smokey joe
Old 06-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Sweet