Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1992 cruise control not working

Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1992 cruise control not working

Hello!

I just picked up a 1992 (4.0L 4x4 Limited) whose cruise doesn't seem to be working. No indicator light shows when I turn it on, pushing the button on the end of the stalk won't set the speed, and the resume slider has no effect.

There's no airbag, but the horn works just fine, so I'm not sure if I should pursue the clock spring angle any further.

The A/C will blow through all vents just fine. Heat blows out of the floor vents by default, but can be switched to defrost with no problems.

I've checked the vacuum line that runs from the intake back around the firewall to a "T" with a smaller line running through the firewall on the passenger side, with the main line continuing around to another "T" with a small line branching off to the cruise servo, and then the main continuing on to the "football" reservoir under the front bumper on the passenger side. There are no breaks, and all connections are solid. I pulled the small hose running from the servo to the "T" and heard a nice, long hiss, so I'm thinking it may not be a vacuum issue.

(In fact, the only line I could find that had a problem was the CCV hose - one end was only very loosely fitting around the elbow, while the other was so loose that I bet a bump would have dislodged it! Hose clamps are holding both ends down until I get a chance to replace the lines, elbows, and grommets.)

Brake lights work just fine, too.

Right now I'm leaning towards some kind of problem with the stalk. This probably has nothing to do with it, but my turn signals blink very slowly - about once every 2 seconds when in Drive. Oddly they blink faster in Park.

I've read everything I can find on the issue, but I'm just not sure what to look for - the stalk, the servo, a vacuum leak after all, something electrical... What would be a good next step to determining the problem? I don't have a huge amount of experience, so I'm just not sure where to go from here!

Thanks!

Last edited by sine.nomine; 03-17-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

No clock spring, test the servo motor with a vacuum pump. Test the brake light switch for continuity with a DMM.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

There is not a "cruise" light on a '92.

I would pursue the vacuum leak angle first. The smallest hole in one of those plastic lines under the hood can kill the cruise.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I had no cruise on my '93 GC Laredo.. checked everything, fuse, switch, vacuum lines etc..(no indicator light on it) everything said ok. Got the servo from pick 'n pull for $27 and that fixed it like new. From what I've read, the servo is the most likely culprit (after vacuum leak) 90% of the time.
*Also, like Turbo X_J said, check the brake light switch is not only functioning, but adjusted properly as well.
I was slightly amazed at how well it holds speed. You set it on 65 it stays on 65, I mean not even one mph difference (on speedo anyway) on hills, in/out of OD or even if it drops down to 3rd.. best cruise I've seen on ANY car I've ever owned.