Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 Xj Laredo Random stalling in park

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1991 Xj Laredo Random stalling in park

I've just purchased this vehicle for a very reasonable price and would like to use it as a parts run vehicle.

So far, I've checked the MAP sensor, fuel pump ballast resistor, and ECU for bad connection by wiggling the connectors.

I'm not getting any engine codes, but also the CEL code procedure doesn't seem to be working unless I force an engine code by unplugging a sensor.

The strange part is the 55 code gets interrupted by the fuel pump priming randomly when the key is left in the on position for sometime.

Ive posted a video on YouTube of the fuel pump cycling.

Im thinking the fuel rail isn't holding pressure and forces the pump to keep priming.

There is also what sounds like a drizzling sound after the pump primes in the engine compartment. Could this be an injector leaking or the fuel rail pressure regulator being faulty and draining excess fuel out of the rail?

The engine is off and the key is in the run position for this video.

This may also be completely irrelevant to the random stalling while idling in park. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!