Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 I need help bumping up the HP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 HO
Default 1991 I need help bumping up the HP!

1991 cherokee, any suggestions out there on how to give her some more horses?
ive been looking into a cold air intake and a performance exhaust system, any suggestions on which of those have been working for people? or anything else that will kick her in gear? (yes... my jeep is a she)
Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Check the search feature to find similiar threads that go into more detail. but there is also a 99+ intake mod. bored out TB and injectors (more throttle response and fuel economy). Just to name a few more.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM

Year: 1997

i have heard about upgrading injectors. i have a 96. what injectors can i pull out of a car at a junkyard to gain some HP?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by KTMrider
Check the search feature to find similiar threads that go into more detail. but there is also a 99+ intake mod. bored out TB and injectors (more throttle response and fuel economy). Just to name a few more.
i tried the search feature, couldnt find what i wanted. my abilities arent quite up to most of you guys. is 99+ the company name or am i missing something there?
do they make throttle kits? any idea what size injectors i can get away with without major modification or engine explosion? haha
Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

year model is 99 and newer is what he means. chrysler redesigned the intake and made it flow better so you get better mileage and power.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by superj
year model is 99 and newer is what he means. chrysler redesigned the intake and made it flow better so you get better mileage and power.
right right, duh, it was a long day at work. would that maybe be a better bet than something after market? im more concerned about performance than price.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

where can we find how to bore the TB?? I have searched and searched the write-ups and nothing.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by strech117
right right, duh, it was a long day at work. would that maybe be a better bet than something after market? im more concerned about performance than price.
As far as I know there are are no after market companies that produced intake manifolds. Just go to the local JY and yank it.

Originally Posted by lukc22
where can we find how to bore the TB?? I have searched and searched the write-ups and nothing.
This is they guy i used, very happy with overall price and preformance gain. http://www.strokedjeep.com/tbody.html As far as doing it yourself, there is a write up on that. I will try to find that for you.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mud_digger
i have heard about upgrading injectors. i have a 96. what injectors can i pull out of a car at a junkyard to gain some HP?
Some pretty long threads on that topic. I beleive the ford 5.0 injectors do the trick for that year. But i would get someone's else opinion on this that is more knowledgable before you go getting them. And it's more throttle response and MPG gains than HP.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 PM

As far as I know there are are no after market companies that produced intake manifolds. Just go to the local JY and yank it.

This is they guy i used, very happy with overall price and preformance gain. http://www.strokedjeep.com/tbody.html As far as doing it yourself, there is a write up on that. I will try to find that for you.
very very helpful! ill be giving him a ring. where is he located?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM

Some pretty long threads on that topic. I beleive the ford 5.0 injectors do the trick for that year. But i would get someone's else opinion on this that is more knowledgable before you go getting them. And it's more throttle response and MPG gains than HP.
i will be looking into that too. never replaced a fuel injector... cant be an easy thing to do. but i like the idea alot.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by strech117
very very helpful! ill be giving him a ring. where is he located?
Don't remember, midwest some where i think. It was 12$ for shipping so i wasn't too concerned.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Don't remember, midwest some where i think. It was 12$ for shipping so i wasn't too concerned.
very cool, man. haha im across the northern border but i have a mailing address out of north dakota. how does it work? i have to yank mine and send it to him for machining right?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 PM

You buy his premachined 1 and then once you get it you send your stock 1 to him and he credits you back the money for the core once he receives it. Then he sells it to the next guy, and the cycle continues. Shoot him an email and he'll tell you what you need to do. Paypal works wonder in this deal.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 PM

You buy his premachined 1 and then once you get it you send your stock 1 to him and he credits you back the money for the core once he receives it. Then he sells it to the next guy, and the cycle continues. Shoot him an email and he'll tell you what you need to do. Paypal works wonder in this deal.
fantastic, your the man. i dont believe ive ever worked on one, is it a doable "at home" project?
have you heard many good stories about people swapping out for newer intakes manifolds? im getting mixed reviews

Quick Reply: 1991 I need help bumping up the HP!