Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 Fuel Pump Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1991 Fuel Pump Issue?

Hi Guys,

Ok, I just joined this forum in order to get some help with my XJ as I am out of ideas at this time.

Ok, I was parked in my house unloading groceries and the jeep was running. It shut off by itself and I didnt even bother in trying to crank it up again, so I tool the keys off and went inside. Next day (Sunday) went to crank it up and NOTHING...I tried again but I didnt hear the "hummin" sound coming from the back so since I was getting a loud sound from the back already I figured it was the Fuel Pump...so I went to Autozone, purchased a new one for $130.00 and came home to change it...granted I only had about 1/4 of gas in the tank. So, after I changed the fuel pump...I heard the little "humm" for a few seconds and Jeep ran fine for about 3 hours.

Next morning, I go to the gym, park, and when I get ready to leave...same crap. Now I dont hear the humming noise...called my friend, and told me to replace the Filter ($15.00)...I did. I tried, and nothing...still dont hear the "humm" so I tow it home and start working on it AGAIN...still no humming...connect the old pump to a battery direct and pump works...so I tried to do the same connection (direct) to the pump inside the tank...I get a spark. So, Im thinking crossed cables inside the pump, but I put the whole thing together...i didnt messed with any wires, just pull it out of the box and Install on the tank.

So, now I take off the new pump and do the direct cable test with the pump out of the tank, sparks again. I go replace it, and get another one...test it and runs, test the old one and runs. So, I install it...top line to the filter, bottom line to the other line, and the electrical plug with 3 *****. Try to start, and I still cant hear the pump humming for a few seconds...unplug the pump...put a tester to the cable coming out of the car and the middle one is always on with the key on...this is for the float, now I get no reading at all in the other 2, one grey and one black.

I get no reading at all, key on, off, midway, anything...so I think...fuse? relay...I go to the front...get to the fuse box by the passenger side under the hood and see the relay, pull it, and go get one, $22.00 (now Im in for $165.00) on this issue...replaced the relay...not a thing. I pulled it, and use a cable to jump it from 30 to 87 (http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3169830-n..._jeep_cherokee) and nothing.

Unplugged the cable to the pump on the jeep and plugged the old pump (since I know that it works when connected directly to the battery) so I can test around and see if I get juice to it...not a thing. I checked the fuse box inside the car and every fuse is ok. I do not know what else to do...

One of the things I read was this "is power getting to the relay? can you bypass the relay and get it to work? there is a fusible link to the relay.look on the relay, if you connect number 87 and 30 terminals the pump should run. if no power on terminal 30 the fusible link is blown/bad"

What, where and how does the "Fusible link" looks like?

Please....any help???
Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter

That is the exact problem I'm having with mine! Someone please help us!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM

My problem was resolved. The issue? A $15.00 solution...a Fuse. The Green 30AMP fuse. If you look at the box where the Fuel Pump relay is from the passenger side, it is the 2nd Fuse from the right to the left. The 1st Fuse being the closest one to the Battery.

I completely missed this Fuse (Dont ask me how cus they are the BIG fuses) and when I found it, changed it and VROOM, VROOM!

Good Luck Buddy!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 PM

What kind of Jeep?? Automatic or 5 speed. I think the autos have a neutral safety switch that prevents starting unless in park or neutral, maybe it went bad???
Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Mine is Manual.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM

Awesome! Mine is a manual also. I have a parts cherokee that I bought for a 100 bucks 2 years ago with a bad motor and I took the fuse out of it and stuck in there and the pump worked. But the fuel pump keeps going out and I can't figure that part put. 3 in the past 6 months.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Just an FYI...the first pump I installed I think it was bad from the factory...that was maybe that burnt my fuse the first time...so, I would just compare the cabling to your original. Good Luck Man...Glad I was able to help!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Alright will do, plan to drop the tank this weekend and clean it out really good and maybe put another pump and fuse in. What kind of fuel pump did you put in yours? Price and from were. Were did you get a new fuse?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM

I got my FP from Advanced Auto Parts:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1539459788___

Yes, new fuse. One of the big 30 amps fuse, mine is Green.

Hey question, you said u have a spare Jeep for parts? I am in need of the clutch line that goes between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. Do you know what that is? I need that line, my master cyl went bad and I didnt know how to remove the line, so I junked it and ruined the line, I need a new one cus my leaks fluid.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Alright, thanks! I will get me a another pump and fuse, did you do anything to your ballast resistor? I will check on that line this weekend and see if my dad left it on there, he took parts off to fix another cherokee a while back so I will see and let ya know and maybe we can get a shipping thing worked out, I really want to get my cherokee fixed again, it was my first vehicle, got it in nov. 06, and drove it all over the pasture till I was old enough to get my dl's!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 PM

Angry NO FUEL

ok so I have read all the blogs about the fuel issue. I am having the same issue and I cant get fuel to the fuel rail. The 30 AMP Fuse that's the ENG CTRL that goes to the starter and Fuel pump relay is sparks and pops the fuse under the hood. I have traced the wires and grounds and still same thing fuel pump works but no fuel..... I keep popping the 30AMP and relays.
WHAT the FU*** is the issue???????
I have been working for a few days trying to find the issue.
I can only think I have a issue with the FUSE box under the hood..
If you know the answer PLZ Email me Jerrygann88@gmail.com
any help would be great thanks guys and gals..
Old 03-29-2017, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

First read this, and then this, and then this.

Those three will cover it for you.

By the way, there are no blogs here. This is a forum. There are forums, which have subforums, which are made of of threads, and threads are made of of posts.