Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 4x4 engine swap/ rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1991 4x4 engine swap/ rebuild

Hey everybody. Walterlee here, new to forum. I am on my 3rd cherokee sport a tennessee truck I picked up with a knocking tired motor. I have got the motor out at this point and dissasembled enough to discover the rings were locked up on no. 6 causing the usual damage (piston hammered, rod bearng down to brass with a couple minor grooves, honed cylinder a little with a bead honer but still has a pretty good scratch or two and rubbed on areas. Okay, Now, my questions. To rebuild or find a better short block. I do still have my 1993 two wheel drive. The motor smokes especially like when you are in line at the bank etc. but the motor is very strong will put you back in your seat with a little pedal.(about 150,00 on it) I find it hard to believe the rings are bad. The body has gone to hell on this one so I could use this motor to rebuild also although taking another one out is not something I would look forward to as well. Any thoughts appreciated. Also what should I be doing to the truck while the motor is out. Some say it is a good time to change the touque converter and there are options on that as well. Wish I would have found this site years ago. Thanks.