Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 xj turn signal issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 2 Door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Low Output Renix POS
Default 1990 xj turn signal issues

Guys,

I looked threw old threads and can't find this issue. I have a 90 2dr XJ with all man options. Very few fuses. All lights work and hazards work. With headlights on or off, no turn signs. I can push, pull and twist on the lever and nothing, pulled the bulbs and looked for rust and loose ground. Wth could it be? Relay? Column lever? Satan? Gremlins? Aliens? Help?

Free prize for the guy that makes them work!

Blantime (I can only drive straight and make no turns)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 PM

Year: 91 Limited
Engine: 4.0 HO

I'd try swapping in the hazard relay and if that doesn't work then I'd say gremlins!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by XJmayhem89
I'd try swapping in the hazard relay and if that doesn't work then I'd say gremlins!
Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I agree that swapping the hazard relay into the flasher is a good diagnostic tool. A couple other things to check...

1. Under the dash, above the steering column there is a wide, blade-type connector that comes from the multi-funciton switch and ties it into the harness. Check that connector to make sure it's not corroded or damaged and that it is fully connected.

2. Use a multi-meter to check the flasher relay input voltage as shown in the image below. With the key in the ON position, the connector labeled "12 VOLT" should read... Anybody? Anybody? That's right, 12 volts.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I agree that swapping the hazard relay into the flasher is a good diagnostic tool. A couple other things to check... 1. Under the dash, above the steering column there is a wide, blade-type connector that comes from the multi-funciton switch and ties it into the harness. Check that connector to make sure it's not corroded or damaged and that it is fully connected. 2. Use a multi-meter to check the flasher relay input voltage as shown in the image below. With the key in the ON position, the connector labeled "12 VOLT" should read... Anybody? Anybody? That's right, 12 volts.
Oh hell yea!! A test. I'm good at test. I'll be back!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by blantime
Oh hell yea!! A test. I'm good at test. I'll be back!
Well then, you've got the right car and the right attitude.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Well then, you've got the right car and the right attitude.
Switched relays, nope, nothing, zip, nada, nothing

I am beginning to think it is the turn signal lever itself. I have a tilt column. How do I get to the switch? Pull the wheel? Steering wheel? Lol have to be clear. We are Jeep owners, not the smartest bunch, but huge *****!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 PM

Did multi meter test. I gots 12 voltages. But no turn signals. I can't drive straight alway to work. I got like 5 turns. What the hell do I do next?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM

Year: 1989 & 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Did multi meter test. I gots 12 voltages. But no turn signals. I can't drive straight alway to work. I got like 5 turns. What the hell do I do next?
Hand signals.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by phobia
Hand signals.
Was waiting on that one. Hardy har har. You a funny MF! Lol

What do I do next?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

The only thing the stalk does is direct electricity to the proper side of the car.

Here's a quick explanation of how the signals work: When you flip the stalk it completes a circuit between the flasher relay and the turn indicators on one side or the other. The flasher relay is supplied 12 volts any time the key is on, when it detects a specific load based on the position of the stalk, it begins pulsing current through the circuit at a predetermined rate (blink). That's why it flashes faster when you have a bad bulb (less load = faster flash) and why the standard analog flasher relay doesn't work with LED bulbs, they simply don't provide sufficient load to make it flash.

A complete lack of signals usually indicates a lack of power to the flasher relay which supplies power to the entire system, not a multi-switch issue. Check both sides of your 20 amp fuse labeled "TURN B/U" (which is also providing circuit protection to your back-up lights) and check the socket I mentioned earlier behind the flasher relay. Also, check the blade connector above the column, I've seen them become partially detached.

In order to replace the multi-switch you have to remove the steering wheel and the spring-loaded retainer behind it, from there it's just a matter of pulling the stalk, removing the retaining screws on the multi-switch, disconnecting it from the harness, and replacing it. It's a time consuming job so I would recommend exhausting other causes, first.

If it comes to replacing the multi-switch, I've got a write-up here somewhere on tightening the tilt column bolts which involves removing the multi-switch and can link, if necessary.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

That rules out your fuse and, since you've already swapped the hazard/flasher relays, that's ruled out as well. So, the things it could be:

1. The connector that links the multi-function switch to the harness.

2. All your bulbs are shot (unlikely, but I've seen it)

3. Multi-function switch melt-down.

I recommend you find that connector and confirm that it's fully attached and not melted or something.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 PM

The only thing the stalk does is direct electricity to the proper side of the car. Here's a quick explanation of how the signals work: When you flip the stalk it completes a circuit between the flasher relay and the turn indicators on one side or the other. The flasher relay is supplied 12 volts any time the key is on, when it detects a specific load based on the position of the stalk, it begins pulsing current through the circuit at a predetermined rate (blink). That's why it flashes faster when you have a bad bulb (less load = faster flash) and why the standard analog flasher relay doesn't work with LED bulbs, they simply don't provide sufficient load to make it flash. A complete lack of signals usually indicates a lack of power to the flasher relay which supplies power to the entire system, not a multi-switch issue. Check both sides of your 20 amp fuse labeled "TURN B/U" (which is also providing circuit protection to your back-up lights) and check the socket I mentioned earlier behind the flasher relay. Also, check the blade connector above the column, I've seen them become partially detached. In order to replace the multi-switch you have to remove the steering wheel and the spring-loaded retainer behind it, from there it's just a matter of pulling the stalk, removing the retaining screws on the multi-switch, disconnecting it from the harness, and replacing it. It's a time consuming job so I would recommend exhausting other causes, first. If it comes to replacing the multi-switch, I've got a write-up here somewhere on tightening the tilt column bolts which involves removing the multi-switch and can link, if necessary.
You are the man damn!!! Thanks so much. If it works, I got a killer gift for you!

Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 PM

Year: 1989 & 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Was waiting on that one. Hardy har har. You a funny MF! Lol
You asked what you could do until you get your signals working. Hand signals fulfill the legal requirement for signalling a turn.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Try a new flasher. The hazard flasher may be at a minimum spec and not triggering.

ALL hazards blink?

Quick Reply: 1990 xj turn signal issues