Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 jeep cherokee/ wagoner bendix braqke system overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 , 1997 ,1997, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 @5.2
Default 1990 jeep cherokee/ wagoner bendix braqke system overhaul?

Hi everybody I need some help /advice with this can not seem to find the answers I need,. This is what I have a 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0 6 cyl auto, it has the junk Bendix brake system in it that has been repaired once on the life time recall and now the dealer is has been holding the car since may of this year claiming he is waiting for parts..It is actually my brother in laws car so he has been dealing with them.. Anyway I read that you can disregard that entire system and install a newer type master and brake booster from a newer xj.. I have access to a 2001 donor that has a booster/master cyl and portioning valve attached to it.. I was hoping I could take the booster /master portioning valve and install it in the 1990 I am guessing that I would have to make the lines that would come from the portioning valve to the driver and pass wheel and of course to the rear of jeep.. In my research I learned that it is best to use the rod from the matching booster (2001) and modify it by drilling it out and making a flat spot for the brake switch?? I also was told the threads are metric for the brake line`s but they do have adapters for them?? I was hoping somebody has done this , it really is a great running car with very low miles (under 100,000) and even the good old r12 is blowing ice cold.. I really don`t want to get rid of it I had actually owned this car but gave it to my nephew and he has been all over the country with it.. My brother in law tried everything with jeep letters, phone call`s and keep getting the run around . They are willing to replace the pump but they say the accumulator is bad now and they want 800.00 for the part plus installiation. I heard the system will probabley not last anyway and he will be back to square one.. So if anybody has done this please let me know or let me know if you think it will work or get more info. on it, he is going back to school and I would like to repair it once and for all.. Thanks in advance Bill
Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

This is a good read for this. Never done it myself.

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticl...ll_OEM_ABS.htm
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM

Default brake overhaul

[QUOTE=OleBlue;2591851]This is a good read for this. Never done it myself.

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticl...ll_OEM_ABS.htm[/QUOTWell Thanks that is good reading but not sure what to do now ?? I have a feeling that the 2001 might not be the right type of donor ?? ,I appreciate the info. gonna have to find some more facts about it , good article does have some good information.. Bill
Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Well if its a stock jeep, I would say just go with stock compnents. buy a master and booster from a similar year without abs and swap it in. You will still have to make new lines and all but it will bolt up just like stock.

I have done the wj master/booster swap into my xj and it was fairly simple. If you want more info on that look up starboard m, he is a member on cherokee forum and has a really nice writeup. The only real reason to upgrade to a dual diaphragm booster is to help stop bigger tires. If the jeep is 31s or lower and plans to stay that way, go with stock components.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by OleBlue
Well if its a stock jeep, I would say just go with stock compnents. buy a master and booster from a similar year without abs and swap it in. You will still have to make new lines and all but it will bolt up just like stock.

I have done the wj master/booster swap into my xj and it was fairly simple. If you want more info on that look up starboard m, he is a member on cherokee forum and has a really nice writeup. The only real reason to upgrade to a dual diaphragm booster is to help stop bigger tires. If the jeep is 31s or lower and plans to stay that way, go with stock components.
With the wj booster you don't have to relocate the washer fluid bottle do you?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by cherokeelaredo'90
With the wj booster you don't have to relocate the washer fluid bottle do you?
I used 97 style xj booster bottle relocation was just 1 inch forward .
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 AM

Default brake overhaul

Thanks ,this jeep is def. staying stock I am pretty sure it is on 234x75x15 and that is as big as it will go.. I would like to make this as easy as possiable so maybe a booster and m/c from say a 91-96 would be the easiest.. I don`t mind having to do some fab work or just moving the washer bottle, or making brake lines that doesn`t seem to bad..just want to make sure it is something that is dependable as it will be going to college with my nephew about 6 hrs north in snow country., . So if I had some good info or facts about the swap I am pretty sure I could handle it?? .. I don`t think the booster or m/c from the 2001 is the way to go based on the info. I have gotten back already.. I am going to look-up that write up using the wj parts, that also might be a way to go if I can get the parts at a reasonable price.. Thanks, Bill