Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 jeep cherokee rotor / wheel bearing replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default 1990 jeep cherokee rotor / wheel bearing replacement issues

I really only have one major question, but I will go through the sequence of events that led up to the problem

My brake pads were shot so I had to replace them. Normally not a big deal.
I went with napa premium rotors with napa premium ceramic pads for a 1990 - 1999 cherokee 4wd.

The rotors apparently had the wrong offset, and sat just over .20" too deep (which I didn't know at the time). I noticed that the wheels were locked after I installed everything. I ended up getting new calipers, because I assumed that the caliper pistons were sticking.

I re-installed everything and attempted to take a test drive. The wheels were still locked. I took the wheels and brakes off again, and saw that the rotors had rubbed against the dust shield and marred the rotors.

Returning the rotors might have been an option, but the rotors were marred. I also wasn't sure if I just had a different year axle, or if they had actually messed up the fitment themselves.

My wheel bearings were in poor condition as well, so in a final attempt to fix the problem I replaced the hub assemblies with hubs from a 1991 (which was not 100% thought out). This fixed the problem with the offset rotor, but it slid the front axles out of the differential about .20".

Can anybody identify the cause of the last problem? Possibly a longer steering knuckle, or shorter axle shafts than later years?

I know it probably won't cause any immediate problems, but I don't like losing surface area on the axle splines. I also don't like having my u-joints off center.

Last edited by craigjacob1; 09-11-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

I did a bit of looking around, and may be able to fix the problem by upgrading to the 96 axle shafts.

This was sourced from fourwheeler.com
"You can swap later 760X-equipped shafts into your earlier Dana 30, but you need to pay attention to unitbearing/rotor/caliper clearances. There was a ¼-inch change in the unitbearing flange-to-flange depth that can cause interference issues between the rotor, caliper, and even the face of the knuckle."