Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing cylinder head, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Replacing cylinder head, what else?

Hi All,

I'm about to order up a replacement cylinder head for my 97, and was curious what recommendations you all have for replacing other parts while I have it torn down. I was thinking of replacing lifters since I'll be in there. Should I go ahead and replace the rockers and push rods while I'm at it? Anything else? Or even any tips are always appreciated!

Also, at some point, I plan on dropping the oil pan and replacing the RMS. I want to check the bottom end out. What can I do/check to make sure my bottom end is in good working order?

Thanks in advance! Specs in my signature.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

If I remember right, the CPS was more accessible with the exhaust manifold and head removed. I didn't replace mine, because it had just been replaced. I just remember thinking it looked like it would have been easier.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks, but I think I'll leave that alone. Not having any issues with it.

I'm thinking I mine as well put a nicer/better exhaust header on it while I have it apart. But I'm most curious if it's worth it to replace rockers, pivots, push rods, and lifters while I have it apart.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, and anything else that looks worn out.

I would just spend time cleaning everything before reinstalling. Clean out the inside of the intake manifold, throttle body, etc.

Clean out the PCV valves in the valve cover. Check the timing chain for slack

Not really sure on the lifters, I would assume no unless you put in a new cam?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks! Definitely gonna take my time and really clean everything up. I don't want to replace anything that doesn't need it. Just thinking in terms of "preventative maintenance".
Old 09-10-2017, 07:59 PM

did i miss part of the post? Why are you replacing the head? its all about mileage and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

if it overheated, then replace radiator, water pump, thermostat and anything obvious

if replacing head, buy full head gasket set and new head bolt set, always
Old 09-11-2017, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0

clean and inspect every part you remove thoroughly. if it were mine i would replace the lifters and pushrods if they have over 150k on them. no matter what it's pertinent to keep all of the parts in order and with their corresponding counterparts.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by swedepowr1
did i miss part of the post? Why are you replacing the head? its all about mileage and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

if it overheated, then replace radiator, water pump, thermostat and anything obvious

if replacing head, buy full head gasket set and new head bolt set, always
Coolant in the oil. Removing the head anyway to check the head gasket. Outside of having coolant in the oil (very minimal btw), I wasn't having typical symptoms of a blown/failing head gasket, so I'm thinking there's a small crack in the head itself. For a couple hundred bucks, I can have a nice new cylinder head ready to go.

Radiator, water pump, thermostat, and everything else was replaced last year when the radiator and water pump started leaking.

Have gasket sets, and new head bolts.

Again, just curious if any of you experts recommended replacing anything else while I'm in there.