Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 cherokee laredo. no power to dash, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 cherokee laredo. no power to dash, wont start

So I took my Jeep to the local truck store to have a class 3 hitch and trailer light wiring installed today, thinking it would be no big deal. After waiting over 2 hrs, the tech pulls up in my Jeep, and immediately smoke rolls out from under the front corner of the hood, by the battery. He shuts it off, and it's dead. All the exterior lights will turn on, battery has power, dome lights even turn on, but no power to ignition, dash, radio, etc.

They deny any possibility of it being their fault. I have a very limited knowledge when it comes to auto repair and maintenance, so I'm at a loss.

Any thoughts,.ideas, starting points?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 cyl

if they worked on it, then I'd be suspect that they installed wiring incorrectly and it shorted out. I would look first to see what smoked, as that is most likely a burned up wire(s). Once you find that, start tracking it back (may be a blown fusible link)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Well, idk if it was guilty conscience or what, but they called me this morning and had it all straightened out. I had to leave it there over the weekend, and they pushed it into the shop and found the issue.

Turns out somewhere along the lines of ownership, somebody had run the battery ground wire, and the positive wire to the starter inside the same plastic conduit. Time and corrosion led to a bare neg touching a crack in the pos. And well, you get the idea.

No charge for diagnosing the problem, changing out the wires myself.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 PM

I have a 90 Laredo too, I've had it not start just cuz terminal wire corrosion. One time it had me stuck on the problem. Lights came on, but not even a click when trying to start. There is a green wire closest to the front of the car on the starter RELAY. It's a little box with several wires connected to it, including a battery wire. With the jeep in park and key on, take the wire off and connect the little spade contact to the pos. batt. Post. That might start your jeep. I ended up stuffing tin foil in with the spade connector cuz it was just too loose. Proper fix is to replace connector. Since u had sh$t smoking, I second the motion on looking for burnt wire, and fuses. Xj's are flawed when wire grounds are the issue, but in my expierence it's often a simple solution to a major problem. It's why I'll always prefer manual windows and door locks. (Cars have too many bells and whistles these days) buy yourself a multi-meter. Having a '90 u will discover how easy it it to troubleshoot yourself rather than pay some kid in a shop who can't figure it out cuz he/she was born in 1994. I'm no mechanic. But with how easy it is to do research these days you can take care of a lot of things.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Sorry, my post came late. Glad to see the issue rendered. Look up Cruiser's mostly renix tips. It's a great help on this sight.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

glad to see that they at least helped figure it out