Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 Cherokee Laredo engine swap...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 Cherokee Laredo engine swap...

Hey all, new here,

So, my father-in-law has given me a 1990 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 that's been in the family for the last several years. He says it runs, but overheats fairly quickly, and there may be microcracks in the block that are causing the the coolant to evaporate. I realize that I'm probably going to have to do an engine swap. I've never done one before, but I'm thinking that a 4.0L straight six is a good first project, and I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I have several questions, thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.

1) How much could the project realistically end up costing me? I'm already fairly invested, as it's going to cost me almost $1000 to ship it from Seattle to Shreveport, LA. I've been doing a little research, and it looks like I'm not going to get a re-manufactured engine for less than $1200. I also know that there will be a lot of other costs associated with it (other parts, misc costs). I'm military, so I have the advantage of taking to an on base auto hobby shop to do the actual work, so I wont have to buy tools or anything.

2) What else should I look into replacing internally while I'm doing the job, providing I have the funds left over? The original motor has 235,000 miles on it, but it's had a transmission rebuild fairly recently.

3) Seeing as it's my first attempt, What's a reasonable amount of labor time that can be expected?

4) Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for places to purchase an engine from? I don't mind having one shipped, although it might be easier if there was a place in the DFW/Shreveport area that's reputable.

Thanks for the help!