Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1989 Cherokee Laredo HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L HO "Straight Six"
Question 1989 Cherokee Laredo HELP...

Its me again.. got another problem..

I need to find a place that sells a descent NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE WITH EXTRA LEAD THAT WILL HOOK ONTO MY SOLENOID...

I had gone a couple of places and bought what they had but it didnt have the lead for the solenoid.... and well I finally tighten the negative battery cable so much that it wore right through the metal ternimal connection on the cable...

And.. I think i am going to a company called BATTERY BRAIN ... they sell battery isolators that i hope will help my damn Jeep Cherokee from not being able to run or leave my battery hooked up with out loosing any charge...

IF ANYONE HAS ANY ASNWERS ON HOW TO MAKE MY PERFORMANCE OF MY JEEP BETTER.. I AM ALL EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hea d:
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

THere is a guy on NAXJA.org that sells the stuff you need.

Give him a PM his handle is 5-90

HTHs!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by 1989 Jeep Cherokee
Its me again.. got another problem..

I need to find a place that sells a descent NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE WITH EXTRA LEAD THAT WILL HOOK ONTO MY SOLENOID...

I had gone a couple of places and bought what they had but it didnt have the lead for the solenoid.... and well I finally tighten the negative battery cable so much that it wore right through the metal ternimal connection on the cable...

And.. I think i am going to a company called BATTERY BRAIN ... they sell battery isolators that i hope will help my damn Jeep Cherokee from not being able to run or leave my battery hooked up with out loosing any charge...

IF ANYONE HAS ANY ASNWERS ON HOW TO MAKE MY PERFORMANCE OF MY JEEP BETTER.. I AM ALL EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hea d:
Hm. OK - I'm quite familiar with RENIX rigs (I've had five so far...) but I'm a bit stonkered here.

Why for do you need a negative lead to the solenoid? Or did you get your wires crossed (happens to me) and you meant the positive lead?

There is one lead off of the negative post of the battery, and it runs to the engine block. The positive post has two leads off of it - one to the starter motor solenoid, and one to the starter motor relay (for primary distribution via fusible links.) It's not a bad idea to add a second lead to the negative post - running directly to the chassis - but I'm not entirely certain what you're talking about, and want to be sure.

Yep, I'm the same guy XJ Stryker is talking about - so far, I've been able to use "5-90" as my moniker on all the Jeep boards I frequent. So, let's get sorted just what you need, and we'll see if I can't help you out...