Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1988 Xj Steering Knuckles - DANA 30

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 1988 Xj Steering Knuckles - DANA 30

My son is stationed away in the air force and is having problems with his front brakes sticking after driving a few minutes. He has replaced absolutely everything (calipers, MC, brake lines, rotors, pads) and still has this problem. He is a novice mechanic with lots of help from his novice dad! Reading about the problem with grooves in the steering knuckle leads me to believe this is his problem. He is not a welder so fixing the old knuckles won't work. I have been searching for stock DANA 30 replacement knuckles but can't seem to find them for a 1988. One site says the part number of 52067576 (one side) will work but every other site says that part number is for 1990 and newer. Does anyone know where I can find some good replacement knuckles to send him? Not looking for high performance, just stock replacements without any grooves. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-10-2018, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Engine: I6

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...e-hubs-360959/

I welded the grooves on my 94. Welding is the easiest way.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 02-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I just checked through my old orders and researched the part a bit. It sure is strange that all of the knuckles, which never changed for all those years seems to mysteriously be listed for 1990 and newer XJs. But you are right, they all seem to be listed that way. So much of the steering and suspension is uniform throughout the entire history of the XJ, I find it strange that the knuckles would have changed suddenly in 1990. But I don't have first hand knowledge to know for sure.

Think you could take a few pictures of the existing knuckles from various angles and post them up here? I'd like to see if anything jumps out as being different.

As for the gouges causing the pads to fail to slide freely on the knuckle. They certainly do. I have dealt with it on mine as well.

3 points from my experience with it that might help in the meantime...

The first is when your son bought pads did he purchase the higher end option that came with the small hardware clips for the ears on the brake pads? For example with Wearever pads (such as the ones Advanced auto carries), the extra brake hardware only comes with the -platinum- line of pads. This small clips can help reduce the wiggle room that the pad has between the slides and keep it from getting bound up, they also tend to slide a little better because they are smoother than the pad metal backing material.

The next is the use of permatex purple ceramic brake parts lubricant. Can be bought at most auto stores. Not cheap, but a container lasts a long time. The slides should be well lubricated with the stuff before putting the pads back on. It significantly reduces the chance for the pad to bind up on the slides.

Lastly, avoid semi-metallic brake pads and stick with the ceramic. The semi-metallic pads produce too much dust and particles that settle on the slides as grit, and increase the chance that the pad will bind up on the slides.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

1990 and up does not have the preload sleeve for ball joint in bottom only difference new one should bolt right on Ive been told. Wanting to also upgrade my self when funds allow.
Attached Images  

Last edited by freegdr; 02-11-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the information. My son said he is able to send me pictures next weekend when he returns from TDY. He might even know someone that can help him get the welding done if that is what's needed.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Thank your son for his service for us.

If he can get help welding from someone it's probably the best option. Saves you the cost of new knuckles and shipping and can save the extra work of pulling the entire wheel apart.
It's a heck of a lot easier pulling the calipers and rotors off than dismantling the wheel. I had a heck of a time separating the knuckle from the ball joints on my 95.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM

Here is my dumb question for the day...These knuckles are cast steel correct?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee

I ASSume you are asking material type, because of the concerns on welding cast? For what it is, aint gonna hurt a thing. I welded mine almost 2 years ago, and it's still rolling strong. It welds different, but welds good. Any smuck with a mig welder can fill those grooves easy. Where's he stationed? There's bound to be a member near him who could help out. If he's stationed in Norfolk, I could help him out. He'll have to drive down to Elizabeth City though (about 50 miles) to my house.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Thank you for the offer but he is stationed out West at Canon AFB in beautiful Clovis, NM. Thanks again for the all the support. I'll report back this weekend with an update.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 AM

Here is the update I promised...sorry but no pictures. Turns out the steering knuckles were fine. His 1988 XJ has 96,000 original miles which in my view makes it a true "cream-puff." My son doesn't like his Jeep being called a cream-puff. It was his power booster for the brakes. It was original to the Jeep. He replaced the booster and all is fine now. Thanks to everyone for the help.