Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1988 XJ sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1988 XJ sputtering

Ok, I've been have the same problem for the past couple months, I've done a lot of research over the past several weeks and I am still stumped
1988 XJ 4.0 auto, back in September I first had this problem when I was in Texas. My jeep started running rough after I went to a puddle that was deeper than I thought in a rainstorm. It was missing and mpg was down, before I went to Texas I did a complete time up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter, oil change, t-stat. Not till my last day was I able to take the air intake tube off and clean the throttle body plate, that fixed it up until the end of the year. I took it to a local shop and he ran seafoam through the intake, 2 bottles. He later found out that I had carbon build up under the cap of the distributor, he cleaned it out and told me to replace the cap and rotor. That fixed the problem, I then replaced the cap and rotor with the best ones we sell. Now a couple weeks later it started doing it again. I took it back to the same shop, he put in a new cps and found the new rotor was bent on the contact, he bent it back, still doing it.
I went mudding a month ago and snapped the O2 sensor and pulled the female connector out, I have the new connector and O2, they will be put in tomorrow.
For the problems, when started the jeep idles around 500 rpm, and lopes like a diesel. When I accelerate it runs like a miss under load and shakes the whole jeep but at 2000 rpm it doesn't shake while cruising.
I've searched everywhere, asked every mechanic I know and they are stumped.
Please I need help, I drive over 60 miles a day to and from work, and I don't want to get rid of the jeep
Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Year: 1999

Mine was running poorly the last few weeks and it seemed to slowly get worse, running the same way yours seems to be running, if you haven't yet, look at your header, mine ended up being cracked
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Year: 1988

I do hear a exhaust leak, but I'll check tomorrow