Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1988 Jeep Cherokee A/C questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl
Default 1988 Jeep Cherokee A/C questions

I've got a 88 4.0 Cherokee with A/C that had had cooling issues for awhile. After adding die to the system I found out my compressor is leaking where the front plate bolts to the housing and it leaks at the old fittings on the top of the compressor.

Here's my plan:

I'll be buying a new compressor and receiver/dryer and possible a new expansion valve. My plan is to buy a Compressor from Orielly or Autozone.

Here my issue, When I get the new compressor will it be prefilled with oil or not?

Will I need to add oil? (Which type and how much for R134a?)

Do I need to do anything special besides add the oil and connect it all up? Prespin the pump? Add oil or die to the hoses?

Please give me a step by step list of what I'd need to do.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually reman or new compressors come with a small amount of lubricant pre installed(1.5oz or so) Oil should be added to compressor and be sure to turn clutch by hand after adding oil to prevent "oil slugging" the compressor on first start up. I will try and get u oil capacity specs for compressor replacement.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by DESERTXJ206
I've got a 88 4.0 Cherokee with A/C that had had cooling issues for awhile. After adding die to the system I found out my compressor is leaking where the front plate bolts to the housing and it leaks at the old fittings on the top of the compressor.

Here's my plan:

I'll be buying a new compressor and receiver/dryer and possible a new expansion valve. My plan is to buy a Compressor from Orielly or Autozone.

Here my issue, When I get the new compressor will it be prefilled with oil or not?

Will I need to add oil? (Which type and how much for R134a?)

Do I need to do anything special besides add the oil and connect it all up? Prespin the pump? Add oil or die to the hoses?

Please give me a step by step list of what I'd need to do.
Sorry, no step by step list, but a suggestion.. replace all your parts as planned, and any time the system is opened, the dryer should be replaced (don't skimp) ;-) Then take it to a professional AC shop (before you ever run it) to have it serviced. They will vacuum the system, (removes air and moisture) test for leaks and add oil and freon. You spent a good deal of money on that new compressor.. you don't wanna ruin it. Be cool!