Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1987 Cherokee 4.0 Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1987 Cherokee 4.0 Not starting

Hi I was out playing on my grandparents property and slid down a hill into a tree and hit the passenger side corner. Now the jeep will not start. Any input would be great. Thanks

p.s.
ok so I guess I should say that I checked under the hood for any broken connections in wires and I didnt see anything and the battery was connected and grounded well. The jeep will crank hard but will not start its like its not getting any fuel but it could be no spark i guess but I am not a mechanic

Last edited by MuddyJeep05; 06-06-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MuddyJeep05
Hi I was out playing on my grandparents property and slid down a hill into a tree and hit the passenger side corner. Now the jeep will not start. Any input would be great. Thanks

p.s.
ok so I guess I should say that I checked under the hood for any broken connections in wires and I didnt see anything and the battery was connected and grounded well. The jeep will crank hard but will not start its like its not getting any fuel but it could be no spark i guess but I am not a mechanic
check the driver side, theres a connection by the throttle body . make sure the wiring harness that has four clips coming out of it, that they are all connected. If one of them is disconnected it will crank hard but not start. For checking for fuel check the 2 hoses in the front, they are plastic and have clips take them off and point them away from the jeep and have a buddy turn it over for a sec, no more. Fuel should spray out, if not then your pump may be bad
Old 06-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Thank you for the input. I didnt check really hard on the drivers side so I will check that out for sure. Does this jeep have an ASD and would that be the problem. Just doing some reading on the internet.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MuddyJeep05
Thank you for the input. I didnt check really hard on the drivers side so I will check that out for sure. Does this jeep have an ASD and would that be the problem. Just doing some reading on the internet.
yeah it has a relay for that, look on your fuse box lid it'll show you which one it is, and also check your main fuses. You can multimeter them too by putting one prong on the fuse and the other on the battery and you should get 12 volts, you can get multimeters for 3 bucks, otherwise grab some needle noses and pull them and check for a broken connect in the metal of the fuse