Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1985 2.5L Cherokee - Rattling sound after 3200 RPM.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Stock
Default 1985 2.5L Cherokee - Rattling sound after 3200 RPM.

Hello.

Recently purchased my first Cherokee (love it), but it has one rattle issue I'd like to figure out.

Purchased it used at 167k, while running (driving or idle) there would be an inconsistent clicking sound from under the hood. A fellow Jeep friend figured it could be a loose rocker or something... I'm not expert myself.

Anyways a week or so ago, as I was driving, the inconsistent clicking suddenly turned into a constant rattle (almost like a piece of metal is playing Wheel of Fortune), that seems to be coming from under the Jeep or under the motor. It's difficult to identify where the sound is coming from. Perhaps my transfer case, but again I'm no expert.

Only a few minutes of driving back home after, the sound basically went away. It sounds good, however when I start to reach around the 3200 RPM point, the rattling starts again. Only when I'm breaching over 3200 RPM - below 3200 RPM there's very little (inconsistent) to NO rattle at all.

Anyone have any idea what issue I could be dealing with? I've been told the exhaust/muffler is known to get loose and rattle, but I high doubt it's that in this case.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Cody

Old 07-15-2017, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Schoobs
Hello.
Howdy.
Originally Posted by Schoobs
...while running (driving or idle) there would be an inconsistent clicking sound...
So you can recreate the sound without the vehicle in motion? Get a buddy and get under there while he revs it up.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
Howdy.

So you can recreate the sound without the vehicle in motion? Get a buddy and get under there while he revs it up.
That was the pre existing sound that you're quoting and no I did not have control over the sound at that time. It would just make clanking sounds every few seconds on it's own. Currently, that inconsistent clanking sound has gone away for the most part. The problem now is that when I start getting to around 3200 RPM, I'm hearing a fast zipper-like sound. It's concerning so I do everything I can to stay below 3000 RPM now. Before I could floor it without any concerning sounds (aside from the pre existing clanking, which wasn't as concerning to me)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Go beat on the catalytic converter and see if the sound appears.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:55 AM

UPDATE:

So yesterday my starter went. After ripping it out I discovered that broken pieces of metal (pieces from the starter's internals) were trapped in the flywheel. Got them all out and that seems to be what my initial clanking sound was. Bits of metal in the flywheel.

Now back to my other sound issue, seems to be a more quiet rattle coming from underneath when I push to about 3500 RPM. Not as severe as before, but still there.

I will be (hopefully) getting a good look at her tonight with my mechanic buddy. Ill be checking the catalytic converter, inspection plate etc...

Here's to hoping!

Thanks for the tips so far.