Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

12v source location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 12v source location?

I bought a set of Hella 500 FF's and am in the process of installing them and have hit a wall. I've never done any electrical work so it's a bit new to me. The kit came with a relay and a wiring harness that plugs directly into the relay which I thought would make things simple. Per the instructions, I have run the red cable to the battery, the blue to a ground, the black to the lights, and have a yellow cable that I have been instructed to run to a 12v source. My question is where can I attach the yellow wire to a 12v source?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4000cc

Originally Posted by a.dickens
I bought a set of Hella 500 FF's and am in the process of installing them and have hit a wall. I've never done any electrical work so it's a bit new to me. The kit came with a relay and a wiring harness that plugs directly into the relay which I thought would make things simple. Per the instructions, I have run the red cable to the battery, the blue to a ground, the black to the lights, and have a yellow cable that I have been instructed to run to a 12v source. My question is where can I attach the yellow wire to a 12v source?

Thanks
this last wire is for a switching soure if you want you lights to come on with your main beam trace the feed to the headlight right behind it and hook in to it there if you want them to work strait from a dash switch run a live through a switch on the dash and back to your yellow wire the live can come from anything live after you turn the key if you take it from the battery your light will be on unless you turn them off ie.when engine off light will still work hope this helps
Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by dyte2004
this last wire is for a switching soure if you want you lights to come on with your main beam trace the feed to the headlight right behind it and hook in to it there if you want them to work strait from a dash switch run a live through a switch on the dash and back to your yellow wire the live can come from anything live after you turn the key if you take it from the battery your light will be on unless you turn them off ie.when engine off light will still work hope this helps
Awesome. Thanks, that has already helped a lot.

I want to run a switch, so what source do you recommend as a live wire for the switch?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM

I figured it out. I pulled the 12v wire that was running to the cig. lighter and spliced off of that. Thanks Dyte for the push in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4000cc

Originally Posted by a.dickens
I figured it out. I pulled the 12v wire that was running to the cig. lighter and spliced off of that. Thanks Dyte for the push in the right direction.
no probs