Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1 man power steering fluid swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1 man power steering fluid swap

Hey Everyone,

My pump is starting to whine "change the fluid". I replaced the serpentine belt about 1000 miles ago. I know I should re-tighten the belt which I plan on doing. I recall that the pump would whine slightly once in a while. Its a bit louder now so I'm hoping its the the fact the belt needs tightening and the fluid needs to be swapped out.

I've never dealt with fluid swap before but I have looked around and places are saying with it running do this and that. I'm thinking that I should just use a turkey baster suck the reservoir dry. Jack up the front and with the jeep off turn it left and right. Suck up and additional fluid. Then go with a left and right again. Then refill the reservoir, and start turning it left and right. Refill the reservoir then lower the jeep and start it up. Would this eliminate the need for a second person to be constantly refilling the reservoir and another person ready to kill it if it starts to run dry?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by jstantherprsn
.......I'm thinking that I should just use a turkey baster suck the reservoir dry......
Dayum, and I thought I was the only one using a turkey baster on the XJ.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Sooooo....does it work? I need to do mine, and I ain't paying $75 to the mech to do it...
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 AM

What I do at work is use a suction pump (or a turkey baster, whatever you prefer/have). Have the jeep running, suck up until resevoir is almost empty or starts to make noise, fill with new fluid. Repeat until the fluid you are sucking out is nice and clean. Then turn the wheels a couple of times. Then repeat again (should take 1 or two more times). The way you describe sounds like it may work as well. This is pretty much what a shop would do except they have a special machine and it is quicker.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 AM

ya the bg machine is pretty sweet but old fluid shouldnt really make it whine. usually its because air is in the system or there is a part starting to go out, most of the time the pump or a pressure line, but it is always nice to have clean fluid
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a pump that I use to change brake fluid on my motorcycle, I could use that, but where do you suck fluid from? I get that you keep the reservoir full to keep air out of the lines...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by randman
I have a pump that I use to change brake fluid on my motorcycle, I could use that, but where do you suck fluid from? I get that you keep the reservoir full to keep air out of the lines...
if your doing it at home i would just suck all the fluid out of the reservoir, without it running then refill it, start it and turn the the wheel lock to lock a few times, then shut it off and repeat, i would run like 2 quarts of atf through it
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Seems simple enough...

I did see one where they pull the hose and let it drain while engine running and turning wheel side to side while adding fluid to reservoir until it comes out of the hose clean, then replace hose and make sure correct amount is in reservoir...
Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Year: 1989

I just picked up a pump from O' Reilly/Checker auto. Its called they MightyVac model/part number mv8000. It works great, and has attachments and such for multiple uses. It can be used to bleed brakes or hyd clutch, to hunt down vac leaks and numerous other things. It cost about 45 bucks
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JustCuz
I just picked up a pump from O' Reilly/Checker auto. Its called they MightyVac model/part number mv8000. It works great, and has attachments and such for multiple uses. It can be used to bleed brakes or hyd clutch, to hunt down vac leaks and numerous other things. It cost about 45 bucks
That's the one I have...been using it for years..works great...
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Just changed it.. pumped out almost all from the reservoir, then filled it..cranked it up, turned wheel side to side a few times..shut off, pumped out old...repeated 4 times...fluid looks really good now...

Just saved about $65 by doing myself...

I have about a quarter of bottle of fluid left...will it keep, or does it go bad? Ie..moisture, dust, etc get to it...