Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'01 XJ Weird Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: Two '01 XJs, 4wd Sport Lifted, 2wd Limited Stock
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default '01 XJ Weird Coolant Leak?

My GF has a 2001 XJ Limited 2wd, yesterday she came out and it had leaked out all what was left of the coolant/water. She only drives 10 mins to work. I went down and couldnt really see where it was coming from in the dark garage so I filled the overflow with water, gave her my XJ and drove home slowly. Got home and no leaking. I noticed the overflow was empty again so I refilled it and ran the engine for a while, the coolant level dropped a bit then stayed at full, still no leaking though. I noticed that there was a bit of fluid on the fan housing so I took it out for further inspection. It appeared that the leak was coming from the lower portion of the passenger side of the radiator, mind you it has dried up now and still has not leaked. Previously to all of this her oil pressure gage went out and I found yesterday that the sensor was broken.

Would the engine over heat with a bad oil pressure sensor and cause coolant to leak out, I didnt think so? Also why would the coolant leak out but stop now that I filled it up?

Today I'm changing all, her THERM, TEMP Sensor and Oil Pressure gage/sensor.

Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by XJLuke
Would the engine over heat with a bad oil pressure sensor and cause coolant to leak out, I didnt think so? Also why would the coolant leak out but stop now that I filled it up?

Thoughts?
No it wouldnt... sounds like the radiator is leaking at the seam. Common problem for plastic tanked radiators.

Also, google 0331 head crack and read up on them..... Take the oil fill cap off and with a good flashlight look straight down and see if you see a crack or any coolant on the top of the head between the springs.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=391831

this sound give you all the info you need to know...gets kinda repetative though with people asking the same question 15 different ways
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Figure out where it is leaking and resolve it. IMMEDIATELY.

Tolerate no leaks on your XJ. As mentioned, the seam on the radiator is a popular place for failure; if yours is an OEM radiator, I suspect that is what may be failing. Verify it with a good light and if that is the culprit, replace it right away.

You do NOT want an overheat on your XJ. It has the "infamous" 0331 cylinder head, which is very prone to cracking with an overheat!! And if that happens, you have much bigger fish to fry.