Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 xj issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default 01 xj issues

ok guys i bought this jeep back on aug of 11 and when i test drove it with the 225/xx/xx tires on it it didnt make a noise, i have 235/75r15 on it and when i barely turn the wheel while driving it makes a howling noise.....i have new u joints im gonna throw on it. bc it clunks in r to d sometimes. so ill put those on. now im wondering if maybe my wheel bearings could be bad?? because of the howling sound when driving. also i am 99% sure my p/s pump is bad because the power steering is not there when my jeep sits and gets cool i.e 30 degree temps. and it whines like hell when it starts up. i pull the cap and its really foamy and ive added fluid and it doesnt help. so i am almost certain that the pump is bad.
next question..whenever i hit a bump in the road my jeep feels like it shakes, not a normal shake, more like i can feel it jerkin the steering wheel like a wobble or something...
nest question..i recharged my a/c and it doesnt blow cold.....itll blow cold when im pumping freon into it but the cold is gone in less than a day <---[not my biggest concern] would like some opinions
help me out i just wanna get an idea on how to tackle this logically and efficiently about the howling and steering
Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Try tightening the belt up a little, and as far as the a/c goes you have a leak somewhere. It is probably leaking at the evaperator which is in the box where the heater core is, they are known to leak and if you replace it go ahead and replace the heater core while you are in there and it's not an easy job. Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Courtesy of tjwalker:

If it is the kind of wobble that FORCES you to brake. If it is the kind of wobble that makes you think the front end is going to disintegrate. If it is the kind of wobble that makes you soil yourself. THAT is death wobble. Here is more...
----------------------------------------------------

My understanding of “death wobble” is this. Somewhere in the vehicle, one or more components is worn beyond tolerances, and when oscillation initiates from a suspension “traumatic” event (hitting a bump or a pothole) or also when a vibration reaches a certain point and harmonic at a certain speed, it causes the other components to react. This is called the “multiplier effect”, where one component affects one or more other components as the event travels through the front end of the vehicle.

Death wobble is not uncommon with the XJ. It is even more common with a lifted XJ. Finding the worn component or components is not always easy. It can sometimes be downright difficult. Sometimes it’s obvious, other times everything appears to be okay when you perform an inspection on a hoist, but getting the vehicle up in the air and going over everything with a fine tough comb is always a good first step. It is very helpful if you know exactly how to perform a comprehensive inspection of every single front end part, looking for abnormal wear and or play in that hardware. If you do not know how to do this type of inspection, pay an experienced professional to do it. Be sure to ask them if they are familiar with “death wobble”, as not all technicians are versed in this…..

Check out the below link if you would like some extensive reading on “death wobble” causes and cures. From my research, Kevin (the author of this tutorial) is possibly the best in the business with tracking down root cause of death wobble. He does offer hardware for sale that can help resolve death wobble, but even if you don’t buy any parts from him, you can still get some excellent ideas on what to look at in resolving your death wobble.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Possible causes of death wobble are listed below. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious and it can often be caused by a combination of things! From my personal experience, I would first concentrate on the track bar and the control arms and associated bushings.
--------------------------------------------------------
-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear; see if symptoms change)
-Tire pressure. Don’t laugh. It’s not a root cause but can exaggerate the problem. Experiment with lower tire pressure to see if it helps
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar (check for play!!)
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

This is for your shaking.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
Courtesy of tjwalker:

If it is the kind of wobble that FORCES you to brake. If it is the kind of wobble that makes you think the front end is going to disintegrate. If it is the kind of wobble that makes you soil yourself. THAT is death wobble. Here is more...
----------------------------------------------------

My understanding of “death wobble” is this. Somewhere in the vehicle, one or more components is worn beyond tolerances, and when oscillation initiates from a suspension “traumatic” event (hitting a bump or a pothole) or also when a vibration reaches a certain point and harmonic at a certain speed, it causes the other components to react. This is called the “multiplier effect”, where one component affects one or more other components as the event travels through the front end of the vehicle.

Death wobble is not uncommon with the XJ. It is even more common with a lifted XJ. Finding the worn component or components is not always easy. It can sometimes be downright difficult. Sometimes it’s obvious, other times everything appears to be okay when you perform an inspection on a hoist, but getting the vehicle up in the air and going over everything with a fine tough comb is always a good first step. It is very helpful if you know exactly how to perform a comprehensive inspection of every single front end part, looking for abnormal wear and or play in that hardware. If you do not know how to do this type of inspection, pay an experienced professional to do it. Be sure to ask them if they are familiar with “death wobble”, as not all technicians are versed in this…..

Check out the below link if you would like some extensive reading on “death wobble” causes and cures. From my research, Kevin (the author of this tutorial) is possibly the best in the business with tracking down root cause of death wobble. He does offer hardware for sale that can help resolve death wobble, but even if you don’t buy any parts from him, you can still get some excellent ideas on what to look at in resolving your death wobble.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Possible causes of death wobble are listed below. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious and it can often be caused by a combination of things! From my personal experience, I would first concentrate on the track bar and the control arms and associated bushings.
--------------------------------------------------------
-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear; see if symptoms change)
-Tire pressure. Don’t laugh. It’s not a root cause but can exaggerate the problem. Experiment with lower tire pressure to see if it helps
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar (check for play!!)
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

This is for your shaking.
ok i know i shouldnt used the term wobbkle bc i know the death wobble its not that but i would say going through and checking bushings and joints would be a good first step thanks for the list of check offs....
Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 AM

As far as wheel bearings go.. the ones I've had go out on me usually make a scrapping/grinding noise that increases with speed... haven't had one "howl" on me before.. that sounds like power steering problems or your front tires could be rubbing in the fender well.. wouldn't hurt to look and see if there are any rub marks.

Sounds like you have a major leak in the AC system, it couldn't hurt to check all the connections on the AC hoses for oil which would indicate a bad o-ring usually. I've seen alot of these r134a recharge cans with UV dye in them now so a leak would generally (not allways) be detectable with a UV light.