Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another voltage question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Another voltage question

Last night while delivering pizzas, I noticed some odd charging issues. When I first started my Jeep, the voltage on the dash gauge was hovering at ~11. As I drove on, thinking that it would charge as I rolled, the voltage dropped until it was down in the red at 9. At this point, I turned off my stereo and turned off the fan/heat. The voltage shot back up to a normal ~14. Going on my next delivery, at startup it was again at ~11 with the stereo/fans off. I didn't notice any belt squeals at all, my headlights and dash lights dimmed to the point I could barely see them. (this is all at night, so headlights are on) After driving two blocks, the voltage is up to normal. For the rest of the night, this happens. However, when I start it up to drive home, it starts up with normal voltage for the first time in 4 hours. It was also fine this morning when I went to take it to O'Reilly to have them test it.

At O'Reilly, everything is acting fine, normal gauges and readings. I went to get a carwash to get the salt off the body and when I was done, the voltage problem was back, so I headed back to O'Reilly. At this point, the voltage on the dash was holding steady at 9. The same guy tested it again, and said the battery had 12V on it, but the regulator was acting weird and that I should replace the alternator. He didn't sound very knowledgeable, but neither am I.

Will replacing the alternator fix my issues? Through searching on here, that is a common solution, but I have read that the regulator isn't internal in the alternator, so I don't know how that would help. Just looking for some advice, I have about 2 days to figure out the problem and get it fixed before I need to drive again. Thanks a lot in advance if you can help.

Last edited by 99redclassic; 02-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by 99redclassic
Last night while delivering pizzas, I noticed some odd charging issues. When I first started my Jeep, the voltage on the dash gauge was hovering at ~11. As I drove on, thinking that it would charge as I rolled, the voltage dropped until it was down in the red at 9. At this point, I turned off my stereo and turned off the fan/heat. The voltage shot back up to a normal ~14. Going on my next delivery, at startup it was again at ~11 with the stereo/fans off. I didn't notice any belt squeals at all, my headlights and dash lights dimmed to the point I could barely see them. (this is all at night, so headlights are on) After driving two blocks, the voltage is up to normal. For the rest of the night, this happens. However, when I start it up to drive home, it starts up with normal voltage for the first time in 4 hours. It was also fine this morning when I went to take it to O'Reilly to have them test it.

At O'Reilly, everything is acting fine, normal gauges and readings. I went to get a carwash to get the salt off the body and when I was done, the voltage problem was back, so I headed back to O'Reilly. At this point, the voltage on the dash was holding steady at 9. The same guy tested it again, and said the battery had 12V on it, but the regulator was acting weird and that I should replace the alternator. He didn't sound very knowledgeable, but neither am I.

Will replacing the alternator fix my issues? Through searching on here, that is a common solution, but I have read that the regulator isn't internal in the alternator, so I don't know how that would help. Just looking for some advice, I have about 2 days to figure out the problem and get it fixed before I need to drive again. Thanks a lot in advance if you can help.
If the o'really brainiac tested battery voltage with the engine running, it should show 14+ volts.. with or without blower motor, radio etc.. The voltage is regulated by the PCM. First I'd make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight, especially battery terminals and alt. connections. If that doesn't straighten it out, then I'd replace the alternator. Then put a charger on the battery to insure it has a full charge. Alternators are not meant to re-charge a low battery, they're only designed to run accessories and 'trickle charge' or 'top off' a fully charged battery.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thanks for the advice. I will look over the connections soon. As for right now, it is starting/driving just fine.