Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 stalls during hot idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default 01 stalls during hot idle

My 01 with the straight 6 has started stalling while idling, but only after the engine has warmed up. When I come to a stop the rpms will jump up and down a couple times then it stalls. I can keep it from stalling if I constantly give it a tiny bit of gas.

I have read around about this and found a variety of problems it could be, like bad map, crank position, or throttle position sensors or a vacuum leak or something with the key fob, but no real concrete answers.

I have a new CPS, Manifold intake sensor, TPS, and temperature sensor. I also found a vacuum hose that was disconnected, which I reconnected but it didn't fix the problem.

Other than throwing some more sensors at it, and doing a better check for vacuum leaks, does anyone have some other ideas for me?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. Check engine light on or have you seen it on? If so, you must pull codes from the computer for clues/guidance.

2. Test fuel pressure. I'm not saying that is your problem but I am saying that it is one of the first thing any technician worth their salt would do if you brought your XJ into their shop. The fuel pressure spec for your vintage is 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi. Your symptoms are not classic of a fuel problem, but testing is the only reasonable way to get to root cause.

3. How old is your battery? A marginal battery can screw around with engine management system and can create stalling. As can a marginal charging system.

4. Did your symptoms start AFTER you replaced those sensors or before? What brand sensors did you install? Sub par sensors can really make troubleshooting difficult.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:50 PM

The check engine light is not on and I have no codes to work with.

All but the crank position sensor were changed about 2 years ago. The crank position sensor was changed under a year ago, I changed it because of a starting problem which it fixed. The stalling started well after I changed all these sensors. I got allthe sensors from advanced auto, I don't know what brand they were or if they are considered high quality.

I had a problem with that HUM thing from verizon draining my battery. It constantly draws power so that it can monitor your battery level. I can go a week without driving this jeep so the HUM was partially draining the battery, then it would charge while I drove it, then drain again and so on. This killed my battery so I have a new battery in there. Now that I'm typing all this I'm realizing that this stalling started not too long after I installed the new battery.

Last thing, I was running it today and it was a little hard to start. I had to give it some gas to get it going and then I turned the headlights on and the thing immediately sputtered and stalled. I started it again and the same thing happened. This is making me think that it is some kind of electrical issue.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:15 PM

Turns out the problem was the positive battery terminal connection. I couldn't quite get it tight enough so I replaced it, checked and cleaned all the other connections and everything seems to be good so far. It even starts up faster.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Nice! Thanks for the update(s).

I had a junky terminal on my last Jeep and it drove me nuts with the flakey starting. I don't know why I never just fixed it.