Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 sport getting p0141 and p0161

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 01 sport getting p0141 and p0161

hey guys, so its finally time for me to get the jeep through emissions again and i am having trouble clearing up a couple codes. earlier this year i replaced all my 02 sensors and catalytic converter since i was getting a catalytic efficiency below threshold code (or something similar to that). i replaced it all figuring it was probably just one or the other, but being so old (probably the originals) and the fact it could all be done in one job. it took care of the efficiency code, but now i am getting p0141 and p0161, o2 sensor heater circuit banks 1 and 2, both sensor #2. i made sure to purchase only ntk sensors as per everyones recommendation. the owner of the shop i took it to when smoking it for an evap leak says it is the sensors and i need to get only the ones direct from the dealership, that the ones i have "are oem but they arent really". i trust this guy with my car issues as he has taken care of my familys vehicles for years (about 20 years now lol), but i am a little skeptical on this answer.

ive tried swapping around the relays in the pdc and the code always comes back to the same sensors. i have already replaced the fuse even though it wasnt blown i figured i might as well since i had it on hand anyways.

what should i do next?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by eignub
hey guys, so its finally time for me to get the jeep through emissions again and i am having trouble clearing up a couple codes. earlier this year i replaced all my 02 sensors and catalytic converter since i was getting a catalytic efficiency below threshold code (or something similar to that). i replaced it all figuring it was probably just one or the other, but being so old (probably the originals) and the fact it could all be done in one job. it took care of the efficiency code, but now i am getting p0141 and p0161, o2 sensor heater circuit banks 1 and 2, both sensor #2. i made sure to purchase only ntk sensors as per everyones recommendation. the owner of the shop i took it to when smoking it for an evap leak says it is the sensors and i need to get only the ones direct from the dealership, that the ones i have "are oem but they arent really". i trust this guy with my car issues as he has taken care of my familys vehicles for years (about 20 years now lol), but i am a little skeptical on this answer. ive tried swapping around the relays in the pdc and the code always comes back to the same sensors. i have already replaced the fuse even though it wasnt blown i figured i might as well since i had it on hand anyways. what should i do next?
check if wiring aren't touching hot surfaces and for any damage
Old 06-01-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Did that already, had to repair some wiring on one of them. While checking all the wiring I also took some electrical connector cleaner to all the plugs just for good measure. I then ziptied the wiring for the sensors as far away as possible from things that might damage them, but not so much that it would be putting a lot of tension on the wiring.