Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 grand cherokee infinity speaker static

Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 grand cherokee infinity speaker static

Over the last year my normally excellent sound system (infinity) started have low static in the front driver tweeter. The sound out of the tweeter however was still decent. 6 months ago I had the tweeters replaced hoping it would solve the low but annoying static. It did not. Recently the static has bridged to both tweeters. That static comes and goes . I found that powering the stereo off and back quickly clears it up till the next attack. I have reached my breaking and need advice to restore my sanity while driving. Thx to anyone for your responses.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

you might get more responses in the grand cherokee section

could be ignition noise
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I suspect wiring issues inside the driver's door. I've owned two Cherokees and both had problems with the speakers in the driver's door not working at all and the other front door speaker always sounded like crap. The 2000 Unlimited I own now had a non-funtioning driver door stereo speaker when I bought it and I just thought it was a sub-standard speaker installed by the manufacturer since both Cherokees had the same problem. Shortly after I bought the 2000 the rear windows stopped working and then the front windows went out this past weekend. I did some searching on here and, following the great advice I found, I pulled the wiring harness out of the driver's door. I found six wires cut including both wires to the driver's door speaker. Once I repaired the wiring all windows work and my stereo sounds better than I could have anticipated. Thanks to those who posted about the wiring problems!