Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 cherokee rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 01 cherokee rebuild

I just had the motor rebuilt on my 01 cherokee inline 6. Had a cracked head. took them 5 weeks, but thats a whole other story. I picked it up today they said it had a slight tapping noise (its louder than slight) that would working its self out in a few days. It sounds like a lifter. Im not a mechanic but i know it should not be doing this. Said they put 50w oil in it cause it was a rebuild and to get the oil changed in about 100 miles with 50w again.
Does this sound noise/tapping normal to anyone else? They said just need to get a few miles on it, break in all the lifters and seals. The place that worked on it is a friend so I know they will fix it. Im just not sure it will go away
Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by gwayms
I just had the motor rebuilt on my 01 cherokee inline 6. Had a cracked head. took them 5 weeks, but thats a whole other story. I picked it up today they said it had a slight tapping noise (its louder than slight) that would working its self out in a few days. It sounds like a lifter. Im not a mechanic but i know it should not be doing this. Said they put 50w oil in it cause it was a rebuild and to get the oil changed in about 100 miles with 50w again.
Does this sound noise/tapping normal to anyone else? They said just need to get a few miles on it, break in all the lifters and seals. The place that worked on it is a friend so I know they will fix it. Im just not sure it will go away
I've never heard of running 50W as a rebuild oil. The proper recommendation is to run 10w-30 in there for 100 or so, then change out to 10w-30 again. Noisy lifters and 50w doesn't sound right at all.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Here on the N Cal coast it rarely drops to freezing. I use straight wt Castrol 30w in everything. Maybe it's so dang hot in Texas they are worried about everything.... It shouldn't be clicking or knocking. Bet they got there fingers crossed that a lifter or something frees up. Heartbreaking thought to need to go back in.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 AM

From a noobs point of view, it sounds like they are waiting and hoping for the best as well..
Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like they ****'d up the rebuild and hope you're too dumb to know. 50w is NEVER right for oil. Take it to another shop and tell them what happened. Have them change the oil to 30w and diagnose it. *this is so you've got a paper trail if it comes to small claims court* Go back to the original shop and get in writing that they will pay for the other shop to do the job right. If they refuse get the new shop involved. The new shop should be able to convince the original of the error of their ways.

If all else fails, take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer, just take all of your paperwork from the time you first took it in to the day you go to court. You'll get relief.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by tx96
Sounds like they ****'d up the rebuild and hope you're too dumb to know. 50w is NEVER right for oil. Take it to another shop and tell them what happened. Have them change the oil to 30w and diagnose it. *this is so you've got a paper trail if it comes to small claims court* Go back to the original shop and get in writing that they will pay for the other shop to do the job right. If they refuse get the new shop involved. The new shop should be able to convince the original of the error of their ways.

If all else fails, take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer, just take all of your paperwork from the time you first took it in to the day you go to court. You'll get relief.

Yup sounds like they're screwin ya-- a good rebuild should sound like a new motor and not WAITING for a tap to go away. Take it to someone else -REPUTABLE and get the real deal on whats goin on.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

I can just picture if this was a race engine.

Yea, Dale remember last week when that motor almost made the 500 miles last race but didn't, "YUP" Well we rebuilt er and it seems to have a little tap so we filled the crankcase with -chicken feathers-sawdust-some tile grout and some 180 weight. She should be good once she warms up -don't worry buddy just go out there and make that pole qualifying lap now ..
Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Tapping goes away right after a big bang.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Member

I hope not, but it sounds like a rounded cam lobe, or yes a lifter foot that was not broken in properly. I would drain the oil thats in there a soon as possible, and refill with any Conventional 10w-30 or 10w-40 and restart and diagnose.