Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

00 XJ OEM radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 00 XJ OEM radiator question

I've tried finding a sure answer but it seems hard to get. I have a 2000 xj sport and it came with the tow package. I was reading somewhere that some cherokees with tow packages had a bigger radiator...any truth to this? Is there a way I can tell by looking at my radiator if its a 1 or 2 row?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

There was a "Heavy Duty" cooling option for your year model. Whether or not that became a standard subset of the Towing Package, I'm not sure.

You can check our www.rockauto.com for various options on radiators. I have one that I bought from them, and even in weeks-long 110 degree plus Texas heat and running the AC at full blast in slow traffic, I've never overheated.

By the way, my brother was born in Philly, and we spent our early childhood living in the Allegheny area northeast of Pittsburgh. Still have a ton of family up there, and I really miss the milder summers (compared to here) and having some real snow during the winter.

Last edited by macgyver35; 02-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Check out radiatorbarn.com
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by macgyver35
There was a "Heavy Duty" cooling option for your year model. Whether or not that became a standard subset of the Towing Package, I'm not sure.

You can check our www.rockauto.com for various options on radiators. I have one that I bought from them, and even in weeks-long 110 degree plus Texas heat and running the AC at full blast in slow traffic, I've never overheated.

By the way, my brother was born in Philly, and we spent our early childhood living in the Allegheny area northeast of Pittsburgh. Still have a ton of family up there, and I really miss the milder summers (compared to here) and having some real snow during the winter.
Thanks for the info. My stock radiator is sound no problems or leaks but definitely wanna upgrade at some point just curious if it has the larger radiator / heavy duty cooling option. I'm trying to look through pictures to compare.
Allegheny is West of me but I know where it is, they get more of the lake effect snow and mid west storms that miss us. We had a crappy winter for snow.. I was ready to go when I got my xj this past fall and its been disappointing how little snow we got. We had one good storm and I was out in it all day.
Thanks for the link I'm looking into them now.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Check out radiatorbarn.com
Alright man appreciate it