Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'00 OD vs D shift behavior

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default '00 OD vs D shift behavior

I've noticed that there is a marked difference in the shift behavior when I place my gear selector in the "D" position vs when normally in the "OD" position. I've got an adjusted TV cable and it drive and shifts great normally, if not OD happy.

When placed in "D" however, The shift points seem to come early. And torque converter lock up is almost instantaneous once it hits third; not the case when in OD. The downshifts are also harsher, sometimes sloppy. There are a few instances where the torque converter will unlock for a few seconds, 2-3, then lock back up when I'm at around 40-50mph (wish I could tell you what I was doing with the throttle). Fluid looks good, does have an old, used smell. I'm getting ready to change it; slowly, drain pan, replace, drain pan, replace, any fluid suggestions?

I think some of the slop is due to that I need a SYE/transfer case drop, but this was evident before I had my lift on.
I also know that the older XJs had a "comfort/power" switch. You think that the switch is still programmed into the TCU, and that the pull from OD to D will change the settings??

Just dont' need my DD to drop a trans while my other car has the driveline out of it.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Could be the solenoids going bad or something.

The aw4 is electronically shifted.

I'm not an auto trans guru, tho. Sorry.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You are not going to "feel" the torque converter lock/free wheel, you could watch the tach or a scan tool when at light throttle in OD to detect it tho. Early or late shift points are a sure sign of a maladjusted TV cable.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I'll redo the TV cable; it made a vast improvement the first time i adjusted it. The torque converter i can feel; it's a noticeable shift in rpm and vehicle power/feel. just like when you tap the brakes it unlocks, same deal. I can even feel the AC compressor locking and unlocking when it's on, and it's more noticeable in D and not as much in OD. Not wanting to tow anything with it until I get this figured out, getting grumpy without my lake time.