Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

Web wheelers get your FIX HERE!! Chinaman Gulch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Web wheelers get your FIX HERE!! Chinaman Gulch

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVd9JF-GNzkSo I hit my favorite trail in Colorado on Friday. It was a serious day of wheeling. I left my house in Lyons at 7:30, met up with my bro Brock(XJ) and his fried Faust(TJ) in Conifer at 9 and we headed to Buena Vista. On the trail by 11 after airing down and discos and stubborn linkages etc. We got about 10 feet into the trail and Faust got his rear diff stuck on the first rock he could find. The Hi-Lift had to be used to get the tire up to stack rocks. I really need to buy that rim attachment for the lift! Easy fix, on our way. After the climb to the rock garden we realized that the obstacle was completely different. Apparently some ******* knocked the big tree down on the left of the obstacle. This has left an extreme line on the left where you would have to straddle a 4 foot crack and exit on a 6 foot 90 degree rock. My ***** weren;t clancking loud enough for that line. I took the old hard line over the big rock and got a cool flexed out wheel stand and made it over with some good spotting from Brock. The open/open guys took the line to the right and made it look easy. Next we came to Whale's Tail where I came pretty close to flopping last time I was here. This time I knew the line and crawled it piece of cake. Faust knew the middle line and made it look easy. Brock with the longer wheelbase got stuck in a hole but a quick adjustment on the line and he was up it. Right before Double Whammy there is a smaller ledge, well I can;t resist finding the hard line so I take the left side up. On my way up my rim got smashed by a rock putting a pretty big dent in the rim and the sidewall of the tire. It was still holding air so no time to cry about it, onward! The last real obstacle is the Double Whammy. Last time I was here I had to smash my way up this thing denting and smashing my unibody. but this time after watching the video and seeing a few other guys do it I barely rubbed my rear diff. I like being locked! Faust took the right side line and walked it. Brock had to make several passes at it until he was able to bump up the ledge. He got high centered pretty badly and had to take the dreaded cable. A little tug from my winch and he was over it. He started to come forward and threw the drivers tire in the air about three feet! He gets the best wheel stand of the day for sure. We came to the exit and all made it up and out. Last time Brock had to pull cable here but was able to make it up this time. Faust had to work so he left and Brock and I headed to Iron Chest. It was about 30 mins from Chinaman. We got there and found the trail head and started to climb. About two seconds into the trail a rock garden starts. Big, loose boulders everywhere, moving under your Jeep it was crazy. This f in thing goes on for about a half mile. We bounced and smashed our way up for what seemed like forever. Brock smashed his cross member and dented it pretty good. After the rock garden there wasn't much in the way of obstacles but narrow shelf roads and sick views. As we got above the tree line there was snow on the trail. At the top there are a bunch of old mining buildings and an incredible view. We headed back down to the rock garden. It was getting dark now and I was glad I was too lazy to take off the roof lights. They came in handy on the way out to the highway too. We made it back to Buena Vista and aired up. While I was airing up I realized that the tire I smashed was pissing air so we had to change it. Better here than on the trail! I was bummed out about a $225 tire but then I remembered that the previous owner had road hazard. I walked into Discount tire today and had them order me a new tire, free! On the way home I came closer to hitting a deer than I ever have before. I was going 65 and had swerve hard to avoid hitting it. Brock behind me thought I hit it's head. That game me more adrenalin than the trails for sure. Then about an hour later I get pulled over for speeding!! I told him that I was trying to get speed to go up the big hills cause my Jeep hates climbing. He didn't care and wrote me a ticket anyway. He could have given me one for 73 in a 55 but gave me 64 in a 55. $95 instead of $225 and 1 point not 4 so I made out ok. Stopped by Chris' place on the way back for a beer and to get my fender stickers. Got home at 1:30 am what an epic day of wheelin. Check out the video and some pics.

View

Wheelie

Trail damage

Missing a bolt from the shock mount

what shock??

Dented rim and tire

Rock garden Iron Chest

Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

nice video, I really like the communication also...
Old 10-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Registered Users

Nice views. We dont have anything like that here in Greenville, NC.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992, 1996
Engine: inline 6

Josh your rep for sick YouTube vids lives on!!! Great day of wheeling can't wait to go back out! Didn't hear you got pulled over was it on 285? I found jeffco cops are normally scared of Cherokees lol. Least you didn't smear that deer all over your bumper lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks bro. I like makin the videos. Yea the cop clocked me at 73 mph. He gave me a ticket for 64 in a 55 though, only one point and $95. F em I'm gonna fight it. Speakin of videos, I went out Sunday (shocker I know) with my club the Hooligans and we had a blast. Here's the video. Where we goin this weekend?That cross memeber is a hour fix with two people. Hey while your up in Vail find out if holy cross has snow on it. Oh and my mechanic buddy said to let him know when you want to do the linkage and we can schedule it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=0O88DwkA5yE
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

wow man that makes me miss CO
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice video....but you really need a set of my LongArmZ. Seriously.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

AWESOME VIDEOS!! Makes me want to move out there, SoCal sucks for offroad, no where NEAR that cool and beautiful out here.....
Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Year: 1992, 1996
Engine: inline 6

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Im hopefully gonna be wearing your arms this winter!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

Its more fun to make your own set of long arms then see how good they work
and its cheaper
Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Yea I know. Hey can you make a 4 link rear too?? I could be very interested if you do! Let me know. Seth says your long armz are the best!