Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

Uwharrie Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 two-door SE
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Uwharrie Impressions

We spent last Thursday and Friday in Uwharrie National Forest. We had never been there before. We were able to traverse every trail even if there was no way we could climb (or even ride down) the rock face on the Daniel Trail. It was way out of my Jeep's league.

We made reservations and stayed at the Arrowhead Campground. After seeing the Badin Lake Campground, I would have preferred to camp there. I'd advise everyone to make campsite reservations beforehand because the campgrounds filled to capacity on Friday night and more folks wanted a place. If you're OK with primitive or near-primitive camping, then there were plenty of places.

I also think that you should get a free Badin Lake Recreation Area/Uwharrie National Forest map from the mailbox in front of the trailer of the Badin Lake Campground host (site #12). The map shows the latest trail ratings that aren't found on any other map currently available on the internet. Contrary to the internet maps, Falls Dam is a moderate trail (not easy), and Dickey Bell has a hill climb with loose rock and sandy soil, deep holes, steep rock faces, quick trail switch backs, and exposed rocks and tree roots at mid-body panel height that made it difficult for my Cherokee with open differentials. Also Dutch John may be difficult in one direction, but probably moderate when traveling in the opposite direction from the Slab Pile Trail to the Wolf Den Trail.

I was very disappointed to see the amount of litter left on the trails. We took a little time to pick up some. We could have spent all weekend. But throwing bottles and beer cans in the woods makes all of us who enjoy off-roading look bad. Persons with authority may conclude that we're not worthy of public places to ride if they think that we aren't being responsible with the the natural resources we ride through. Everyone please take a trash bag with you on the trail and put your refuse in it and pick up some that was left by others while you're out of your Jeep spotting someone else along the trail.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 AM

Year: 1996 two-door SE

I go to drive, not take photographs. As worthless as the points I made may be, I am worse at photography than articulation. Although I understand the benefits of visual aids, I didn't realize that photographs unrelated to my "trail report" on Uwharrie were necessary.

Not that you'll ever find yourself on the other side of this country, but to reiterate more concisely, Badin Lake Campground is the better but make reservations. Dickey Bell is more difficult than the internet says it is. Daniel's rock face climb is impassable for anything less than the heavily modified. And please tread lightly or the ever decreasing public off road areas will continue to do so.

Here are a few, in my opinion, worthless pics.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  98.2 KB

Last edited by 96tudor; 05-22-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 AM

Year: 1996

I used to live about 30 minutes away from the forest up there before moving back here to Florida. A small group of friends and I went wheeling there often. About once every few months we'd spend the day wheeling and cleaning up the trails. The sad part is that it's a never ending battle to keep the trails clean.