Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

More fun in the hills

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default More fun in the hills

Scott, Mason and I headed out yesterday to revisit Harker Canyon. Scott and I were out there a couple weeks ago, and scouted a number of good camping sites. So, off we went. Sure, the snow was flying. Sure the temperature was dropping. Isn't that what adventures are for!!!

There was a rolled over SuperDuty behind the wrecker. Was that a sign? The thermometer in the Jeep said 30*...

Gotta ride the trails to get to the campsite. Scott's trailer works really well. Temp had dropped to about 25*

Pretty nice view out over Vernon.

We set up camp, setup a windbreak between Scott and Mason's Jeeps. Mason has a neat awning that comes off his roof rack. We added another tarp that came off that to Scott's roof rack. Made for a nice cover, and the wind break did its job. We started a fire, gathered some local deadwood to burn and settled in. Mason served up a great steak dinner, (Thanks Mason!) and we had some good adult beverages. We turned in about 9ish, and it was about 9*... We slept in our Jeeps, and about 2:30AM or so it was 2* out. Brrrr....

So when we got up this morning, Scott had a fire started and hot water for coffee and hot chocolate. (Thanks Scott) It was 5*. After Mason got up Scott served up some breakfast burritos. Mason pulled out his archery stuff and Scott and I shot up some firewood.

About 11Am we packed up and headed back to the civilized world. Back on the trail... This was my first winter camping trip. It was cold, but I was pretty well prepared. Learned some new tricks and things I need for the next outing. And I am looking forward to another winter outing...

Might have been heading back, but we can always think about the next trail, can't we?

Last edited by zjrog; 11-15-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

nice pics , but im so glad its not that time for snow here yet , im not ready for the freezing temps lol
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

We found out overnight windchill where we were camping was -17*... But we had a great time, good food and good drink....