Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

Hackett Gulch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hackett Gulch

This trail was just opened late last month, so we were not sure what to expect. It had been closed for about 7 yrs due to the Hayman fire in 2002. Still a good amount of trail closed right before the water crossing - dang it!

Trail head

hill climb

A little flex

Some good sized ruts

The trip was very rutty making my unibody pop like rice crispies. I need to add some frame stiffeners.

It was a fun trail, but short. There are alot of sections still closed off so be careful not to venture into those areas.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see that trail opened back up!! Kudos to the good folks at Predator 4X4, and the many volunteers, for getting it put back together!! Thanks for the report!! BTW, who had the monster XJ on rear coils, that thing is SEXY!!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Though it may be a short trail, it still looks like loads of fun. And the black XJ is one sweet rig.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Good to see that trail opened back up!! Kudos to the good folks at Predator 4X4, and the many volunteers, for getting it put back together!! Thanks for the report!! BTW, who had the monster XJ on rear coils, that thing is SEXY!!
Originally Posted by winston427
Though it may be a short trail, it still looks like loads of fun. And the black XJ is one sweet rig.
Thanks guys. It WAS alot of fun. Only bad thing I can say is when you are nearing the end of the trail, there is not many trees like in most beautiful CO, and so the sun gave us a beat down.

COSXJFAN, that rig belongs to a good friend of mine, Danny. He built the rig all by himself. It's got approximately 15-16" of lift, 36" IROKS, 4:88s, ARB'd, D60 in rear. He has been a wealth of knowledge and help in the build of my rig too. Hopefully someday we can meet so you can see his rig in person. It's sick!!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm game, let me know!!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Thanks guys. It WAS alot of fun. Only bad thing I can say is when you are nearing the end of the trail, there is not many trees like in most beautiful CO, and so the sun gave us a beat down.

COSXJFAN, that rig belongs to a good friend of mine, Danny. He built the rig all by himself. It's got approximately 15-16" of lift, 36" IROKS, 4:88s, ARB'd, D60 in rear. He has been a wealth of knowledge and help in the build of my rig too. Hopefully someday we can meet so you can see his rig in person. It's sick!!

Tell him to bring it to Moab next fall. I would love to see that rig in action.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: I6

throw up some more damn pics of that black coil spring xj its getting me all hot and bothered at my computer desk.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

nice pics.
does he not have limiting straps on the coiled rear end?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Nstyfox
throw up some more damn pics of that black coil spring xj its getting me all hot and bothered at my computer desk.
Lol.. ok ok. Lucky for you, I have some more from Hackett Gulch, so as to not deter the thread lol.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeWI
nice pics.
does he not have limiting straps on the coiled rear end?
He does, but (of course!) did not have them on that trail. His bumpstops are too short in the rear and the springs pop out. We will be remedying that this Sat hopefully.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

in this picture he looks to be off trail is he?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Seth, that and pic 2 is where the Hackett trail surprsingly ends (closed off). He had to pull forward a bit, so I could have room to turn around. We had 3 rigs and 2 others behind us. So yes in a sense, but not on purpose.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Seth, that and pic 2 is where the Hackett trail surprsingly ends (closed off). He had to pull forward a bit, so I could have room to turn around. We had 3 rigs and 2 others behind us. So yes in a sense, but not on purpose.
wow thats it?! that suck that trail used to be alot longer! oh well. i was just wondering thanks man!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98XJSETH
wow thats it?! that suck that trail used to be alot longer! oh well. i was just wondering thanks man!
No prob! Ya, that was it. Very short. I had never been, so you begin to drop out of the trees, it opens up a bit, begins to drop and then there is a big ole steel cable running accross the trail. About .25 mile from the Platte River I believe. We stopped to take some pics and w/the other 2 rigs, all kinda bottle necked. I was a bit disapointed because I was looking forward to the water crossing. Still a cool trail though. I later read Metberry Gulch is still open past the river, but not Hackett, nor Longwater.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM

Glad to hear that they have opened those trails again...
Love looking at those wheeling pics especially with the FLEXING from the first set...

Quick Reply: Hackett Gulch