Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:47 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default What's your reaction to this?

When you see a post with no punctuation and is one continuous run-on sentence, what do you generally do, and why?

Your thoughts?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It drives me nuts and I'll just skip over the thread. If a person can't take the time to form a structured sentence and use proper punctuation they're not going to take the time to follow good advice.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:12 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I try to read it, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Depends on how run-on it is. Then I generally reply with a response that pokes fun at the horrible spelling and/or grammar, and see what happens. Generally it is not good, LOL

It drives me nuts as well. Makes me weep for humanity. There was a recent thread where the guy stated he was a college student. Really made me sad that America's college students are so inept. Quite sad, really...

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 03-20-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee

I try to make sense of it, but if I can't I won't even respond. I'm somewhat guilty of doing it myself, especially if I get to typing in a hurry. My peeve is when you ask politely for better Grammer and the OP starts bashing/bad mouthing ya.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by cruiser54
When you see a post with no punctuation and is one continuous run-on sentence, what do you generally do, and why?

Your thoughts?
I usually assume its you rambling and i move on.........
Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by iluvmud

I usually assume its you rambling and i move on.........
Lolz
Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 PM

Engine: 4.0, bbk 62mm throttle body

Internets are serious business.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

I usually try to read it if it's short.
But if it's one large block of text I move on.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Depends what the topic is, if it's something I'm interested in I decipher, otherwise move on.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

If it's off-topic, I keep scrolling. If it's in the Tech section, asking a question, I'll generally try to decipher it. If it's a wall of text that covers my phone's entire screen, I won't even glance. If I reply, I usually add a mention that better post structure would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I will read it and do my best to answer it.

1.) Not everybody in the world's first language is English.

2.) Use of the app and a cellphone make it significantly harder to get everything correct but is becoming more and more popular.

3.) Some people are just plain and simply dumb or uneducated. While stationed in Louisiana, I would read through CL adds and just laugh at how terrible some of them were. Even today it is pretty common down in that part of the country to have reading/writing issues. It doesn't mean (at least not to me) they don't deserve help.

I personally find it is usually much easier to use the app and misspell things than to boot up the old PC. As long as I can somewhat make it out and have advice to give, I'll do my best to help.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ian, I agree with most of your post. However, I use the app almost exclusively. There's nothing difficult about taking a few seconds to read your post before you hit Submit. That's a matter of laziness.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I was never that great in english class so taking that into prospective and the fact that this isnt a how to learn english forum and more of a how to learn jeep XJs forum I just tend to ignore the bad punctuation and try to read what I can and look up the big words I dont understand and then if I know how to help out the fellow jeeper I will if not I might try to google the correct answer or at least post a link that I think might help out said fellow jeeper if I cant find any info on the google that is informative I just follow the thread hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject chimes in and he gets all of his answers solved without getting ridiculed for his poor lack of punctuation because the love for XJs runs deeper than words if we were all on here just making grunt noises at each other I still feel like we understand

Teehee...
Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I see what you did there.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Ianf406
I will read it and do my best to answer it.

1.) Not everybody in the world's first language is English.

2.) Use of the app and a cellphone make it significantly harder to get everything correct but is becoming more and more popular.

3.) Some people are just plain and simply dumb or uneducated. While stationed in Louisiana, I would read through CL adds and just laugh at how terrible some of them were. Even today it is pretty common down in that part of the country to have reading/writing issues. It doesn't mean (at least not to me) they don't deserve help.

I personally find it is usually much easier to use the app and misspell things than to boot up the old PC. As long as I can somewhat make it out and have advice to give, I'll do my best to help.
1. True, but there are users of the site from across the world that have a better command of the English language than most native to the US.

2. I see this as an excuse. Yes it is becoming more popular, but people are just too lazy to check their spelling and grammar. When I'm on my mobile device, I always do BEFORE I hit the send button. It comes down to personal pride with me, I don't want to come across as an uneducated moron, or a lazy bastard, LOL

3. This is right on. As far as them not deserving help because of it, I do tend to agree. But a full page of run-on sentences, poor spelling and grammar, as well as structure and context issues, is just too much sometimes. It makes it hard to help. I do try sometimes, but other times I just move on.

Quick Reply: What's your reaction to this?