Rear ZJ disc brakes to Cherokee XJ Chrysler 8.25 - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Technical Write-Up/How To Section > XJ Write-Ups

Rear ZJ disc brakes to Cherokee XJ Chrysler 8.25

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

View DmC's Photo Album My Photos
1998 XJ Cherokee
Default Rear ZJ disc brakes to Cherokee XJ Chrysler 8.25

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Axle: Chrysler 8.25

I hate drum brakes and found there are a few different ways to change the rear brakes to disc brakes on the XJ. I found you can swap any rear discs from a 1994-1998 GRAND Cherokee with little modification.

Parts needed:
94-98 GRAND Cherokee Rear Disc Brakes and proportioning valve
Diff Fluid
Brake Fluid
RTV Sealant
Dremel with grinding stone

Step 1:Acquire all the parts needed from a Grand Cherokee, years 1994-1998. Calipers, Backing Plate, Soft lines, all the hardware.

Step 2: Jack up your Cherokee and put it on jack stands.

Step 3:Remove Differential cover to drain the fluid. Be sure to remove only the lower bolts first to drain the fluid easier and so it doesn’t get every where. (13MM)

Step 4: Remove pinion shaft bolt (8MM). Once this is done you can push both of the axles in, causing the C-clips to fall off the axles. Then pull both axles out.

Step 5: Remove all the drum hardware from the axle. Leaving only the 4 studs for the backing plate.

Step 6: Now you will need to take the ZJ backing plate and grind down the center to fit the axle. I used my dremel with a grinding stone and it worked just fine.

-I went ahead and change the 4 studs as they were a little rusty and old. I used grade 8 3-8/16 x 1 ˝ bolts with lock washers and new nuts. Just use a hammer to pound out the old studs. I would recommend this just to make the install a little easier.

-I also went ahead and change the axle seals. Use a flat head or pry bar and pull the old seal out. And I used a rubber mallet to put the new seal in. Be sure to hit the seal in a circle so it goes in evenly.

Step 7:Install ZJ backing plate

Step 8: Install parking brake assembly. Retaining clips then bottom spring/ adjuster then E-brake cable pivot then top spring

Step 9:Install axles. Install c-clips and pinion shaft bolt. Be sure to clean the differential with brake cleaner before reinstalling.

Step 10:Install Rotors

Step 11: Install Calipers. You will have to reroute the brake hard line to fit with the soft line.

Step 12: Install brake cables. I went ahead and bought new cables from Napa. Part numbers: 95969 and 95963. You can either use the stock cables form the XJ or ZJ but modifications will be needed. I didn't get any pictures of this.

Step 13: Install Proportioning valve
Here are two excellent write ups as on how to change out the Proportioning valve. You can either change the whole unit or just the internals.

Step 14: Install differential cover. Now is the time to paint it if you like.

Step 15: Bleed brakes/ adjust brake cable.

Finished product

Over all it is not a hard modification/install. Basic tools were needed. I would recommend. Less body roll when breaking and no more clunks after releasing the brakes from a stop.
Join Cherokee Forum

Join Today - It's Totally Free!

Do you love your Jeep? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Jeep Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your jeep, and have a great time with other Jeep Cherokee fans.. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Jeep you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Closed Thread