Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default ZJ E-brake adjustment.

I get out of work late, so most of the repairs/mods I do to my vehicles are done at night. I wanted to get some info on adjusting the E-brake so that it works again. I will be changing the brake pads while I'm back there if they are too far gone, but kinda wanted to be able to visualize the actual E-brake adjustment procedures before going out there so it doesn't take me too late into the night. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
CF Veteran

 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave1966 View Post
I get out of work late, so most of the repairs/mods I do to my vehicles are done at night. I wanted to get some info on adjusting the E-brake so that it works again. I will be changing the brake pads while I'm back there if they are too far gone, but kinda wanted to be able to visualize the actual E-brake adjustment procedures before going out there so it doesn't take me too late into the night. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
You posted in the Grand Cherokee section but you didn't post, and don't have in your profile, what year your Grand is or any other info about it which helps a lot. IMO
I'll see if I can get the info. I'm not at my comp. or home so it may take a while.
Dan
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol"blue View Post
You posted in the Grand Cherokee section but you didn't post, and don't have in your profile, what year your Grand is or any other info about it which helps a lot. IMO
I'll see if I can get the info. I'm not at my comp. or home so it may take a while.
Dan
Sorry Blue, I'll set up my profile shortly. It's a 96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac, 4.0L, Disc brakes all around, thanks.
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
CF Veteran

 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave1966 View Post
Sorry Blue, I'll set up my profile shortly. It's a 96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac, 4.0L, Disc brakes all around, thanks.
I'm visiting family in Mich. now and using my brothers lap-top. I need to pick up a USB cable and scanner/printer before I can send scans of the manual. It may be tomorrow before I can PM you the scans. Maybe someone else will be able to help you before then. Otherwise you'll get the PM if still needed.
Dan
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol"blue View Post
I'm visiting family in Mich. now and using my brothers lap-top. I need to pick up a USB cable and scanner/printer before I can send scans of the manual. It may be tomorrow before I can PM you the scans. Maybe someone else will be able to help you before then. Otherwise you'll get the PM if still needed.
Dan
Not a problem, thanks Blue!!
__________________
96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac 4X4, 4.0L auto, stock for now. Slow build; 07 XK's takin' all my money!!!!
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
CF Veteran

 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave1966 View Post
Not a problem, thanks Blue!!
You're welcome. I'm always trying to help a fellow Jeeper when I can.
Dan
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
sportrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pueblo, CO.
Posts: 903

View sportrider's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default

the E-brake is adjusted just like a drum brake. (because it is) inside the rear rotors are drums. if you look on the bottom of the backing plate below the axle you'll see an oval rubber plug. remove it and use a brake spoon or flat tip screwdriver and tighten the slack adjuster.(make sure the parking brake is released) once it's tight enough they will work good. unless someone drive around with the brake on like the preveous owner of mine. then you'll need to replace them. if I'm driving and pull the parking brake it will lock up the rear wheels.
sportrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
CF Veteran

 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

I haven't got the set-up going yet, but will send the mentioned info ASAP.
The E-brake is adjusted at the tensioner bracket/tensioner rod on the cable, on the rod from the equalizer. Too much to type and pics are needed.
Dan
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider View Post
the E-brake is adjusted just like a drum brake. (because it is) inside the rear rotors are drums. if you look on the bottom of the backing plate below the axle you'll see an oval rubber plug. remove it and use a brake spoon or flat tip screwdriver and tighten the slack adjuster.(make sure the parking brake is released) once it's tight enough they will work good. unless someone drive around with the brake on like the preveous owner of mine. then you'll need to replace them. if I'm driving and pull the parking brake it will lock up the rear wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol"blue View Post
I haven't got the set-up going yet, but will send the mentioned info ASAP.
The E-brake is adjusted at the tensioner bracket/tensioner rod on the cable, on the rod from the equalizer. Too much to type and pics are needed.
Dan
A big thanks to both of you!!! Now, on the slack adjusters, do I just go at them until they no longer rotate? I had to remove the original tensioner bracket cause the bolt was completely seized up. I got one at the JY today and just put in on, took off the slack and tightened it a little more. Again thank you both!!!
__________________
96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac 4X4, 4.0L auto, stock for now. Slow build; 07 XK's takin' all my money!!!!
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
CF Veteran

 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave1966 View Post
A big thanks to both of you!!! Now, on the slack adjusters, do I just go at them until they no longer rotate? I had to remove the original tensioner bracket cause the bolt was completely seized up. I got one at the JY today and just put in on, took off the slack and tightened it a little more. Again thank you both!!!
It's hard to explain without pics.
Block front tires, raise rear of vehicle & place on jack-stands. Verify rear discs rotate freely.
Fully apply E-brake lever.
Mark tensioner rod 1/4 inch from tensioner bracket.
Tighten adjusting nut at equalizer until the mark on the tensioner rod moves into alignment with the tensioner bracket. *Do not loosen or tighten nut until adjustment is finished.
Release E-brake lever and verify the rear wheels rotate freely.
Remove jack-stands and lower vehicle.
Test operation of E-brake on an incline.
If finished, enjoy cold beverage.
Pics would've been helpful.
Dan
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default

Hmmm..... no workie. I did all the adjustments, the pads are about 50% and all the cables are connected and working accordingly, what gives? How far can I go on the adjusting bolt? Can I go all the way on that?
__________________
96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac 4X4, 4.0L auto, stock for now. Slow build; 07 XK's takin' all my money!!!!
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
CF Veteran

 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave1966 View Post
Hmmm..... no workie. I did all the adjustments, the pads are about 50% and all the cables are connected and working accordingly, what gives? How far can I go on the adjusting bolt? Can I go all the way on that?
The directions I gave were from the manual and should be followed as written. Maybe the nut can be tightened further. Like I stated earlier, the pics would help a lot. The only manual I have here is my brothers Haynes ZJ manual which covers it pretty well & has a couple of pics.
Are you sure you installed the replacement parts correctly? And they are for the correct year?
Dan
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol"blue View Post
The directions I gave were from the manual and should be followed as written. Maybe the nut can be tightened further. Like I stated earlier, the pics would help a lot. The only manual I have here is my brothers Haynes ZJ manual which covers it pretty well & has a couple of pics.
Are you sure you installed the replacement parts correctly? And they are for the correct year?
Dan
Yeah, it's the right part, I took the old one with me for comparison and my boy and me went with the parts guy, saw the donor car and all. Installation is all 1,2,3. I'll get under there and snap a few pics, thanks.
__________________
96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac 4X4, 4.0L auto, stock for now. Slow build; 07 XK's takin' all my money!!!!
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default

This is what I'm working on.
Attached Thumbnails
ZJ E-brake adjustment.-cherokee-under-truck-002.jpg   ZJ E-brake adjustment.-cherokee-under-truck-012.jpg  
__________________
96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac 4X4, 4.0L auto, stock for now. Slow build; 07 XK's takin' all my money!!!!
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
powerslave1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: McAllen, Tx.
Posts: 79

View powerslave1966's Photo Album My Photos
96 Grand Cherokee
Default

Also noticed this hose end dangling around at the rear, the other end seems to be connected to the unibody, driver's side right before the gas tank.
Attached Thumbnails
ZJ E-brake adjustment.-cherokee-under-truck-014.jpg   ZJ E-brake adjustment.-cherokee-under-truck-015.jpg  
Attached Images
 
__________________
96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac 4X4, 4.0L auto, stock for now. Slow build; 07 XK's takin' all my money!!!!
powerslave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 PM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trac bar adjustment ceejay612 OEM Cherokee Tech 1 02-10-2010 03:31 PM
Steering adjustment duncan0668 OEM Cherokee Tech 0 02-02-2010 09:16 PM
clutch adjustment?? svt cobra OEM Cherokee Tech 4 11-21-2009 01:41 AM
valve adjustment lucky_05 OEM Cherokee Tech 3 09-30-2008 09:29 PM
Track bar adjustment? COSXJFAN OEM Cherokee Tech 9 07-10-2008 02:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2
This site is in no way affiliated with Jeep or Chrysler.

Emails Backup