Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ E-brake adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ZJ E-brake adjustment.

I get out of work late, so most of the repairs/mods I do to my vehicles are done at night. I wanted to get some info on adjusting the E-brake so that it works again. I will be changing the brake pads while I'm back there if they are too far gone, but kinda wanted to be able to visualize the actual E-brake adjustment procedures before going out there so it doesn't take me too late into the night. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by powerslave1966
I get out of work late, so most of the repairs/mods I do to my vehicles are done at night. I wanted to get some info on adjusting the E-brake so that it works again. I will be changing the brake pads while I'm back there if they are too far gone, but kinda wanted to be able to visualize the actual E-brake adjustment procedures before going out there so it doesn't take me too late into the night. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
You posted in the Grand Cherokee section but you didn't post, and don't have in your profile, what year your Grand is or any other info about it which helps a lot. IMO
I'll see if I can get the info. I'm not at my comp. or home so it may take a while.
Dan
Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
You posted in the Grand Cherokee section but you didn't post, and don't have in your profile, what year your Grand is or any other info about it which helps a lot. IMO
I'll see if I can get the info. I'm not at my comp. or home so it may take a while.
Dan
Sorry Blue, I'll set up my profile shortly. It's a 96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac, 4.0L, Disc brakes all around, thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry Blue, I'll set up my profile shortly. It's a 96 ZJ Laredo, selec-trac, 4.0L, Disc brakes all around, thanks.
I'm visiting family in Mich. now and using my brothers lap-top. I need to pick up a USB cable and scanner/printer before I can send scans of the manual. It may be tomorrow before I can PM you the scans. Maybe someone else will be able to help you before then. Otherwise you'll get the PM if still needed.
Dan
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM

I'm visiting family in Mich. now and using my brothers lap-top. I need to pick up a USB cable and scanner/printer before I can send scans of the manual. It may be tomorrow before I can PM you the scans. Maybe someone else will be able to help you before then. Otherwise you'll get the PM if still needed.
Dan
Not a problem, thanks Blue!!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Not a problem, thanks Blue!!
You're welcome. I'm always trying to help a fellow Jeeper when I can.
Dan
Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

the E-brake is adjusted just like a drum brake. (because it is) inside the rear rotors are drums. if you look on the bottom of the backing plate below the axle you'll see an oval rubber plug. remove it and use a brake spoon or flat tip screwdriver and tighten the slack adjuster.(make sure the parking brake is released) once it's tight enough they will work good. unless someone drive around with the brake on like the preveous owner of mine. then you'll need to replace them. if I'm driving and pull the parking brake it will lock up the rear wheels.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

I haven't got the set-up going yet, but will send the mentioned info ASAP.
The E-brake is adjusted at the tensioner bracket/tensioner rod on the cable, on the rod from the equalizer. Too much to type and pics are needed.
Dan
Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by sportrider
the E-brake is adjusted just like a drum brake. (because it is) inside the rear rotors are drums. if you look on the bottom of the backing plate below the axle you'll see an oval rubber plug. remove it and use a brake spoon or flat tip screwdriver and tighten the slack adjuster.(make sure the parking brake is released) once it's tight enough they will work good. unless someone drive around with the brake on like the preveous owner of mine. then you'll need to replace them. if I'm driving and pull the parking brake it will lock up the rear wheels.
I haven't got the set-up going yet, but will send the mentioned info ASAP.
The E-brake is adjusted at the tensioner bracket/tensioner rod on the cable, on the rod from the equalizer. Too much to type and pics are needed.
Dan
A big thanks to both of you!!! Now, on the slack adjusters, do I just go at them until they no longer rotate? I had to remove the original tensioner bracket cause the bolt was completely seized up. I got one at the JY today and just put in on, took off the slack and tightened it a little more. Again thank you both!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

A big thanks to both of you!!! Now, on the slack adjusters, do I just go at them until they no longer rotate? I had to remove the original tensioner bracket cause the bolt was completely seized up. I got one at the JY today and just put in on, took off the slack and tightened it a little more. Again thank you both!!!
It's hard to explain without pics.
Block front tires, raise rear of vehicle & place on jack-stands. Verify rear discs rotate freely.
Fully apply E-brake lever.
Mark tensioner rod 1/4 inch from tensioner bracket.
Tighten adjusting nut at equalizer until the mark on the tensioner rod moves into alignment with the tensioner bracket. *Do not loosen or tighten nut until adjustment is finished.
Release E-brake lever and verify the rear wheels rotate freely.
Remove jack-stands and lower vehicle.
Test operation of E-brake on an incline.
If finished, enjoy cold beverage.
Pics would've been helpful.
Dan
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Hmmm..... no workie. I did all the adjustments, the pads are about 50% and all the cables are connected and working accordingly, what gives? How far can I go on the adjusting bolt? Can I go all the way on that?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Hmmm..... no workie. I did all the adjustments, the pads are about 50% and all the cables are connected and working accordingly, what gives? How far can I go on the adjusting bolt? Can I go all the way on that?
The directions I gave were from the manual and should be followed as written. Maybe the nut can be tightened further. Like I stated earlier, the pics would help a lot. The only manual I have here is my brothers Haynes ZJ manual which covers it pretty well & has a couple of pics.
Are you sure you installed the replacement parts correctly? And they are for the correct year?
Dan
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM

The directions I gave were from the manual and should be followed as written. Maybe the nut can be tightened further. Like I stated earlier, the pics would help a lot. The only manual I have here is my brothers Haynes ZJ manual which covers it pretty well & has a couple of pics.
Are you sure you installed the replacement parts correctly? And they are for the correct year?
Dan
Yeah, it's the right part, I took the old one with me for comparison and my boy and me went with the parts guy, saw the donor car and all. Installation is all 1,2,3. I'll get under there and snap a few pics, thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:48 PM

This is what I'm working on.
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 PM

Also noticed this hose end dangling around at the rear, the other end seems to be connected to the unibody, driver's side right before the gas tank.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: ZJ E-brake adjustment.