Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need Help. Lost for words 2000 laredo

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Need Help. Lost for words 2000 laredo

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and to owning a jeep. I just purchased a 2000 laredo 4.0 and was running fine until a week ago. When I was driving home I suddenly lost electrical power and acceleration. The dash lights would cut on and off for awhile along with the response from the gas pedal. When I got it home and parked it, it started idleing really rough and would not rev at all. Now when I start it, I see the battery gauge all the way down along with the gauges cutting in and out. It started backfiring while running and someone told me its running rich. I have replaced the CPS, TPS, MAP, changed the spark plugs, and had the battery and alternator tested to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

If you're still running those molded lead battery cable clamps, check for corrosion inside the lead, especially on the smaller red wire that goes to the fuse/relay box under the hood (PDC). It acts like a loose connection from the battery. The larger red wire goes directly to the starter solenoid and that's why you can crank it. That smaller red wire supplies all the juice for everything BUT the starter. Do yourself a favor and replace both the cable ends if they are original. If you noticed, I'm driving one of those.

BTW, it's not running rich. The ignition is cutting in and out.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-23-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

If you're still running those molded lead battery cable clamps, check for corrosion inside the lead, especially on the smaller red wire that goes to the fuse/relay box under the hood (PDC). It acts like a loose connection from the battery. The larger red wire goes directly to the starter solenoid and that's why you can crank it. That smaller red wire supplies all the juice for everything BUT the starter. Do yourself a favor and replace both the cable ends if they are original. If you noticed, I'm driving one of those.

BTW, it's not running rich. The ignition is cutting in and out.
Thank you for the quick reply.
I checked for corrosion and all is clean. Clamps are not original. I unplugged the alternator while it was running and it went to a steady high idle without any type of hesitation.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Engine: 4.0 Petrol

Check the battery for a dead or failing cell.
I had a similar problem with poor starting / poor running - traced it to a failing cell on a battery that was only a few months old.
Unstable voltage plays havoc with the electrics.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:41 PM

I had the battery retested, checked out fine. Just in case I switched it with my buddy's battery from his jeep, same thing.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I still think you have a bad connection in the primary battery supply to the PDC or to the fuse panel under the dash.

I had the same problem with my WJ but it was the battery cable. When it started, the gauges would go nuts, the volt gauge was usually bottomed out. the tach needle going full scale and back to zero like a butterfly, all kinds of weird stuff. The engine barely ran and stalled if I put it in gear.