Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #1

View drdipstick's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default 98 Grand Cherokee VTSS disarming

Two 1998 Grand Cherokees with intermittent unexpected anti-theft alarm problems occurring have been referred to me for repair. One has been to the dealer several times with sizable expense and no relief. Both vehicles have over 200,000 miles and the owners just want the alarms disarmed. Following another thread, I grounded the violet/yellow wire in the driver's door harness and confirmed that it disarmed the anti-theft systems, but the grouinding created two other problems. The courtesy lights will not go out with the key off and there is a .20 amp draw on the battery at the 50 amp fuse in the power distribution relay/fuse box under the hood. I pulled the fuse for the courtesy lights, but have not located the source of the current draw. I have removed door and gate panels and disconnected wires with no luck. Not being a Chrysler dealer, I do not have access to a Chrysler DRB module tester. Any help with this approach to disarming the anti-theft system or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
drdipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

View Kreo357's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Looking for answe to similar problem with no luck.
Have 98gc l6, the factory anti theft keep going off at random, no issues with door locks or hood latch. Dont want to disconnect the horn or just clip wires but its annoying not knowing if somone just smashed a window and opened the door or if its just acting up again.
I took it to the dealer and the service writer basically blew me off, and said something like we can't just pull a fuse and with this one it wouldnt even be worth it. Whatever that means. So it still acts up and i have to leave it unlocked sometimes cause it keeps honking at me for no reason...
Any suggestions would be cool
Solutions would be better
Kreo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #3

View Sickzj's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Grand Cherokee

Try an alarm bypass module from autozone i think there arount $25-$30
Sickzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

View 94zj318's Photo Album My Photos
2002 Grand Cherokee

The factory alarms on '93-'98 ZJ's aren't that great. Just do what Sickzj says and get an Alarm Bypass Kit.
94zj318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #5

View drdipstick's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Alarm Bypass Kit

Thank you very much for the responses to my request. I have found the listing for the kit at AutoZone (Bullidog #791 for $24.99) and will install next weekend. The owner has been putting up with the current drain by disconnecting the battery or frequently driving the car and still wants to proceed with the fix. Will post result.
drdipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM

submit to reddit