Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 XJ Laredo - Trail Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242 Power Tech I6 (4.0)
Default '91 XJ Laredo - Trail Jeep

Whelp, might as well start this. This is XJ number two for me. I have a 2000 XJ Sport, which I have had since March of 2008, got it stock. It's got a 5" s10 bastard pack lift with wheels, tires, front locker, and bumpers. But it's also one of my daily drivers, and first vehicle, so I'd like to keep it somewhat clean and undamaged but still be capable offroad for when I want to wheel it.
Here is the build thread for the 2000 XJ, it's up to 11 pages at the moment with a TON of pictures. - https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/20...-sport-143490/

I also have a 1996 GMC Yukon - Project Yukon HD. I got this in September of 2014, stock. This is also my daily driver and tow rig. Lift, bumpers, etc.
This is the build thread for Project Yukon HD, it's up to 15 pages at the moment and also a ton of pictures. - http://www.gmt400.com/threads/projec...n-c1500.33671/
r

Here's where the Trail Jeep starts. I've wanted a dedicated trail Jeep for a while now, something that I could take offroad and it wouldn't matter if it got any body damage, my 2000 XJ I've wheeled quite a bit, but nothing too difficult since I don't want any body damage on it. Also it can be something that if something breaks it won't affect my transportation, though since I got the Yukon that hasn't been as big an issue. Anyway, I've been looking for one a while for around $1000 for less and about a month ago my buddy said one of his co-workers had a couple of Jeeps Cherokee that had been sitting a while and quite a bit of parts also. He said $1000 for both Jeeps and $500 for the parts, $1500 for both so we split and paid $750 a piece, $500 a Jeep... Right in my price range. My buddy has been wanting a XJ for a while also, once he saw my 2000 start to take shape, he has always wanted to make a XJ similar to my 2000. DD/Capable wheeler.

So we both got a sweet deal, I got the more beat up one for a trail Jeep and he got the clean one for a DD/Capable wheeler. Mine is a 1991 Laredo (HO) Built 8/90 and his is a 1990 Laredo (Renix) built 6/90, both the same color so basicly twins separated just by model years. Pretty cool. They are both up and running now. Mine was a fuel pump and my buddy's was the EGR Valve.

So this is when I picked up the Jeep, March 5, 2017.

This is both me and my buddy picking up the Jeeps.

I should also mention I do a lot of YouTube videos as of lately trying to build my channel so you will see things there first. https://www.youtube.com/danielpace92

Here's a video I did when I first got it. It's a night video so not very bright.

Here's the other set of Super Swamper TSL, New never on the ground. I got a set on the rear with some miles on them.

Some side pictures. Plus you can see the side exit exhaust the dude installed.

Most the engine wires were disconnected since he was going to pull the motor to swap it. It might have a bad head gasket but it runs really good and when I changed the oil it wasn't milky. Still might be changing it in the future.
Here's some of the motor wiring back together.

Video I did of the first day of working on it trying to get it running. (Before fuel pump replacement.)

Day two, got it running and driving after fuel pump.

Then I went through the inside and tried to get the dash lights and working. Shorting issue somewhere for the dome lights (or bad door jamb switch)

Connected the 3.5" speaker in the dash.

Then replaced the melted return fuel line.

The hole

Got some 5/16 Fuel hose and some new fuel line clips. I cut the melted nylon hose off the metal portion and frame quick connect end and connected the 5/16 rubber hose with fuel clamps in its place.

New clips.

Line connected at fuel rail.

Where rubber line starts.

5/16 line connected to quick connect on frame rail.

Video I did of the fuel line replacement in pretty good detail.

Took the sealed beam headlights out and replaced them with the Rampage H4 conversions I used to have on my 2000 since roughly '08 or '09 til just the end of last year when I went LED.

Video I did on the replacement.

It had a busted passenger side axle shaft, so I took the one that he gave us as part of the parts and replaced it.

Then it snowed so some snow pictures.

Then I went and wheeled it, well since a couple more buddy's got Jeeps on the street within the last month or two, the ditch was rutted out and I made it to the top and got high centered. When I tried to get more runs it didn't work too well and I eventually got buried.

Video I took after I got stuck and also I took the muffle off (Which had a GM truck muffler), so I got a video on it being straight piped and also some things on the Yukon.

Then I got a heater control valve so now I finally have heat.

Video of heater valve replacement.

Then the latest thing, a new hatch to replace my cracked hatch. Went and got that on Sunday. Also snagged the wiring since my wiring was burnt up in my hatch.

As of now, no real plans. Try and see if it is a head gasket (Block test) and replace if necessary, more lift, fix leaking tires, new front axle since pinion bearings are shot and it's cheaper to get a new axle (plus driver U joint is shot, easy to replace but cheaper overall to get a new axle from U-Pull-It), new rear axle to replace D35, etc.

The big plans are probably 5"-6" long arm lift, armor, Wagoneer D44 axles (maybe), lockers, winch, etc. Probably won't be too fast of a build until I can get more income, but I also have two other vehicles I want to do stuff to also. Also a trailer I want to go through and make reliable for towing the Jeeps - new 10 ply tires, add brakes, lights, paint, etc. So yeah, it'll update when times comes.

The easiest way, as mentioned before, is to watch my YouTube since it alongside Instagram, are going to be updated first with anything of my three vehicles.

Last edited by dcp1992; 03-22-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, just typed a whole update and it didn't post or save. (Which, by the way, bugs the hell out of me and has happened multiple times over the years. The GMT400 forum that I post my Yukon on saves your post as you type so if something happens you can just got back to the thread and the post is as you left it in the replay box.) So this one most likely isn't going to be as detailed. Plus I don't remember everything I wrote. (definitely not as detailed as it was)

Got an update.

The driver side tires are leaking out of the bead so I went and got some bead sealer from Napa. Napa was the only place I found that had it locally. I took the rear tire off, used a pry bar to get the bead separated just enough to fit the brush in, and did that on the front and back of the tire. So the bead isn't leaking anymore, but the rear tires are the older well used tires and a couple of the slices are leaking on the tire. So I ordered some 31x11.50R15 light truck tire tubes since the tread is still decent and it's better to spend ~$30 for tubes vs about $200 for a new TSL.

The front tires are the new TSL's so I should just have to seal the bead on that one.

The bead sealer.

The tire sealed.

I also went and pulled the wet carpet out of the rear and organized all the parts in the Jeep. Still need to pull the front section of the carpet.

Also got the dead rat out of the washer bottle and bleached the hell out of it and added a new cap to it. So now I have working washer sprayers. Low level switch still doesn't work.

Also fixed the rear PCV so it's not open air now

Here's a video I did while sealing the tire and showed the cleaned/organised inside.

This is a better view of the hatch. Will need to use both harnesses I have to make one harness and swap some parts over between the two.

Also installed the not as messed up cowl and fixed the washer sprayers.

That's it for now. Gotta wait for more funds for anything big, but small wiring stuff I'll still be messing around with.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Old 04-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Did a couple things to the Jeep.

First of all, it seems like it'll be a little bit until I get the white hatch on the Jeep so I went through some of the wiring in the hatch and spliced some of the two harnesses together to get some speakers in the rear of the Jeep.

Speakers installed.

Took the connectors apart since the white harness someone cut the driver speaker wires off so I swapped the wires from my factory harness.

Also put the gas shocks on.

Also cut part of the headliner now since it was already ripped through the fiberglass and since I have a shorting issue/faulty door jamb switch I swapped the dome lights with some Blazer trailer dome lamps. They have a button so I can keep the fuse in and turn the light on only when I need to. Wiring will be tidied up later.

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2824/33019330224_e48711aff7_k.jpg[/img

Here's a video I did overviewing this and also showing my new LED headlights. Morimoto 5x7 (NOS) Headlights, for them on closeout for $75 a piece vs about $250 or so a piece. Most likely going on my 2000 XJ and moving my AuxBeam's on this.

Also did a little flexing too.

Last edited by dcp1992; 04-05-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

i like seeing these old neglected rigs brought back to life. good work!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
i like seeing these old neglected rigs brought back to life. good work!
Thanks! Yeah, still needs a lot of work but I enjoy doing it. Need to get some documents together to I can title it and drive it around a little... After I get a new front axle.

Haven't done anything to the Tail Rig in a while. Haven't had any money to really do anything to it with two other vehicles to maintain/senior project to get payed off. I did get my 2000 XJ backup and running a couple weeks ago. Feels good to drive it again in over 6 months without fighting death wobble.

I did run some seafoam through the intake though. Made a video on it, nothing too exciting.

Also here's an updated picture of it, along with my Yukon and 2000 XJ.

Last edited by dcp1992; 06-12-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, I just updated my other build thread, so now this one. Been about 6 months since an update and quite a bit has happened. Done a lot to the Jeep (not a lot of pictures of them since I was in a rush getting ready for a wheeling trip) but have some videos.

Oh, and I blew it up. Head gasket.

Anyway, here is a video from July after wheeling in the pines behind our houses. The jeep also developed a problem where while warmed up under load it will not go over 3000 RPM. (still have that problem)

These pictures are from september 24th and the night before the trip with my buddy's Jeep getting one last night of work in. (ended up being out til 6am the next morning, then took an hour nap and went to the trails.) I also bypassed the fuel pump resistor and helped the 3000 RPM break up but it still happens, but it's trailable (driveable).

The next day leaving, using his dad's truck and gooseneck.

This trip we both ruined our alternators. Fixed that and were back out a couple weeks later.

Here's a video of the aftermath and also an overview of what I modified. 42" V-Series AuxBeam LED light bar on the hood (will be moved on the roof at a later date), electric fans, sub, and no swaybars. (maybe more)

Then a couple weeks later went wheeling again.

And at the end of the day I decided to hit a hole we did the other week... needless to say the water was down and it turned to gumbo... and I blew the upper radiator hose off, busted the driver side radiator tank, and possibly a head gasket. Luckly it was cought on video (poor cameraman through).

Here's the video

And someone decided to feature it on there blog... guess that's something.
http://www.jeepdaily.com/jeep-cherok...sket-mud-hole/

That's it, haven't done anything besides drive on the trailer, off the trailer, and down the street to the house. Still runs, just overheats really quick.

Next thing to do is replace the head gasket, radiator, and possibly do a CPS to see if my running issue is fixed.

'Til next time!

Last edited by dcp1992; 11-18-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

So, it's been a while. I finally decided to start taking the Jeep apart to find out exactly where my leak was. What I found was not what I was expecting. When the Jeep overheated in the mud hole (and me not noticing until it was too late) it actually cracked the block between the head gasket and the freeze plug.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. first I moved the Jeep to the back and labeled the injector wires and fuel lines. Took the power steering pump/accessory bracket off and moved them to the side.
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Also picked up a coolant compression tester so I can pressurise the system without it running to find the leak,
[/url]

Then I got the intake off. Found the exhaust manifold is cracked by the collector and on cylinder 4 piple. Not a surprise for these Jeeps.
[/url]

Then I pressurise the system... and found it not leaking from the headgasket... But a crack in the block.
[/url]

Then I took the exhaust manifold off to get more room to clean the block off to see how big the crack was. It's honestly not too big, only about 4".
[/url]
[/url]

Also did a video of the disassembly.

So, I'm not going to just put a new motor in it. I'm actually going to try and repair the block. I going to try my hand at cast welding using either 55% nickel rod or 99% Nickel rod. Using preheating of corse when slow cooling. It's only a small crack so it should be too, too, hard to keep in under control. But it's also cast and it's a pain in the butt to weld right.

If I don't have success I do have access to another block so that might happen.

Anyway, that's it for now.

'Till next time!