Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 2dr XJ Restomod "Brutus"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default '95 2dr XJ Restomod "Brutus"

Meet Brutus.

I am the third owner of Brutus. A buddy of mine came across it on Craigslist a week ago. He graciously decided to pass it on to me. I had to swoop in to buy it. I previously had a '99 2dr XJ and regretted selling it. So seeing a low mileage 2dr for cheap. Almost too good to be true. I had the carfax run at work (I am a Jaguar Land Rover Tech) and found it only had 2 previous owners.

On the top side Brutus is clean. Some surface rust along the roof rails, but no signs of body work, no dents, not rot in the rockers.

The underside is a little crusty but no major rot. Judging but the carfax, the last owner had it parked the majority of the time. My guess is it was just a "snow" vehicle.

The interior is pretty dirty. But in decent shape. Minus the console, not sure what caught fire there, but...

Now, my plan. This is not my daily commuter. I have a nice Jetta for that. I am going to build this for long weekend adventures and road trips. A nice keep it clean, (style wise, it will get dirty), keep it simple, and try to keep it in budget, build. I will own this Jeep for many years and drive it for many miles in hopefully many states.

The majority of the work will be done at work on a lift after hours. But some will also be done at home in my driveway.

The Short List
  • Deep clean EVERYTHING
  • Paint bumpers
  • Replace the Brakes (Front and Rear)
  • Sand and prime the roof rails/roof
  • Cluster upgrade
  • 97+ console?
  • Tune Up
  • Diff fluid (Front and Rear)
  • T-case fluid
  • Fix rear wiper
  • POR-15 underside
  • Fix whatever else is broken
  • Remove the purple tint.
  • Headliner recover
  • Turn the tow bar into recovery points
Long Term Plans
  • Fix what breaks
  • 2-3 inch lift (OME?) Just going to replace the rear leafs.
  • 31" tires (BFG AT) The lift is off the list, for now.
  • Wheels (to change or not to change)
  • Bumpers
  • Exhaust (may be sooner if it falls off)
  • '80s style stripes (think Islander)
Now some more pictures.

And my old '99 in the snow

Last edited by Transroam; 03-26-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Adding to the list.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

80s style stripes should be on the short term list...
Old 03-01-2018, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Awesome start man!

Center console fire was probably one of those flammable cell phones from a little while back lol
Old 03-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
Awesome start man!

Center console fire was probably one of those flammable cell phones from a little while back lol
Thanks, another tech at work had the same joke.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Drove it around in the snow yesterday. Haven't done a single thing to it yet, except add gas and fill the tires.

Sent s couple messages about picking up a couple things this weekend for it. Found a guy parting a '00 I may get the headliner board and console. I also found a clean set of wheels for $50. I hate running around with out a spare.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny you say that about the spare but in all my days of owning a vehicle and many of them I have never used a spare. Guess I just got lucky until today when I got home lol......Jeep looks like it was stretching its legs and playing in the snow. You still just building up the savings to order parts for it?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
It's funny you say that about the spare but in all my days of owning a vehicle and many of them I have never used a spare. Guess I just got lucky until today when I got home lol......Jeep looks like it was stretching its legs and playing in the snow. You still just building up the savings to order parts for it?
I have had a flat in three of my last four cars within a month of purchasing them. One of them left me on the road. It had a spare, but it was blown out.

The Jeep is a long term project still in the planning stages. The only reason I have been putting miles on it is because I had to put a little work into my daily. And maybe because it is a lot more fun to drive.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Transroam
I have had a flat in three of my last four cars within a month of purchasing them. One of them left me on the road. It had a spare, but it was blown out.

The Jeep is a long term project still in the planning stages. The only reason I have been putting miles on it is because I had to put a little work into my daily. And maybe because it is a lot more fun to drive.

I completely understand and its better to have it and not use it then to need it and not have it.

Keep up the progress I know the long term project aspect just anxious to see the transformation with your rig.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Had some free time last night. I pulled Brutus in after work to start the clean up.

Looks like the previous owner used it as a wood hauler. Bits of wood everywhere.

So I go about vacuuming out the back. and realize. When I scrape the tint it is going to make a mess. I might as well start with that. So, I started getting ride of the '90s purple tint. I am not a fan of tint. So I am very happy to get rid of it.

I started on the Drivers door. You can see I had the quarter window done I may eventually swap those for wing windows. About halfway through the drivers window. This stuff is a PITA.

On to the drivers rear window. It's like night and day difference.

Got the drivers side done. That is it for not. Had to head home. I am glad the rear window does not have defrost. Here is a comparison Left side no tint, right side tinted.

I hope to have the headliner board out this weekend. Tired of it rubbing on my head.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Just a quick update. No pictures.

Tint is gone. Used a nice sunny Sunday afternoon to my advantage and scrapped off the rest of the tint. I to make a run for more razor blades half way through. But, it is done. I also started to remove the trim to removed the headliner board. I am still fabric shopping though. Waiting on a sample from a company i found online. I just got tired of driving it with the headliner rubbing on my head.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:56 AM

I had Brutus on the lift at work last week. First time letting the wheels hang. Too many pops and crackles from the suspension as the lift went up. Took a bunch of pictures of the rust. I will post them when I am home tonight. I noticed the rear tires are 16 years old... So, tires are moving up on the list.

I drove it home and parked it Thursday. Saturday morning as I left for work I noticed the right rear tire was flat. D'oh! When I got to work I ordered up some 235/75R15 General Grabber AT2s. $120 a piece on amazon, with free shipping. I plan on dismounting the old tires to spruce up the wheels before I mount the new tires. I wonder how many I can fit in my Jetta at once.

Here is a pic of my old Forester on Grabbers... Did pretty well offroad. It was a fun beater.