Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where to wire the positive wire from a cb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Where to wire the positive wire from a cb?

Im about to wire the cb i jus got tomorrow.
But would like to know where should i wire the positive. i dont want to wire it to the battery.
I might wire it to the stereo.
But i heard its good in he fuses too.
But what inlet can i use on the fuse box.
Or should i do it to the stereo.
What benefits does it have from the fuse box or stereo? Or are they the same?
Thanks guys
Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i just wired mine to a constant fuse in the fusebox. i might have used a spade connector and slot, but can't remember off hand.

you don't want to wire it directly to the battery, you might get interference from the alternator that way.

pos to fusebox with inline fuse (3a) and ground to dash.

and remember, 2/3 of antenna should be above the roofline for best reception/transmit.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by caged
i just wired mine to a constant fuse in the fusebox. i might have used a spade connector and slot, but can't remember off hand.

you don't want to wire it directly to the battery, you might get interference from the alternator that way.

pos to fusebox with inline fuse (3a) and ground to dash.

and remember, 2/3 of antenna should be above the roofline for best reception/transmit.
Alternator interference is a ground loop, cause when too many items try to use the same ground (basically.).

I wired mine to the left hand side cigarette lighter plug (in my 2000) because it is only on when the ignition is on and the only other thing i use the plug for is charging my iPod.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Oh ok, well i guess either would be ok.
I might jus do it on the fuse box, i saw do a write up on it and used like a flat head connector to the fuse slot.
But if i run it in a constant fuse slot, would the cb turn off when i turn off the ignition?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by studmuffin
Oh ok, well i guess either would be ok.
I might jus do it on the fuse box, i saw do a write up on it and used like a flat head connector to the fuse slot.
But if i run it in a constant fuse slot, would the cb turn off when i turn off the ignition?
if you wanna use an empty slot . grab a test light and check the slot with the key off and on and see wich ones go off wehn the igntion is turned off
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by DEVILSTOY
if you wanna use an empty slot . grab a test light and check the slot with the key off and on and see wich ones go off wehn the igntion is turned off
Ohhh so i can tell which one is constant right? lol i feel dumb.
Lol gotta go out and get a test light since mine burned out
Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 PM

I was mounting the antenna today and ill be doind the wiring tomorrow.

But i was on jeep forum and most guys said the best place to wire it is to the battery? I thought it was any 12v or fuse box slot. They said they get more interference there. Is that true?

Wanna know so i can get the best place without interference.
Im waiting for my swr meter to come in too. 20 bucks for one off ebay with jumper. nice
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

if you went to the trouble to buy an swr meter do it right and run the power, and ground directly to the battery, with an inline fuse on the power wire. you will have less inter. that way. if you do go to the fuse box they are hard to find sometimes, but they make a small metal adapter that goes on with the fuse, and has a blade terminal on the end, our napa keeps them in stock if you have one nearby.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 19558077
if you went to the trouble to buy an swr meter do it right and run the power, and ground directly to the battery, with an inline fuse on the power wire. you will have less inter. that way. if you do go to the fuse box they are hard to find sometimes, but they make a small metal adapter that goes on with the fuse, and has a blade terminal on the end, our napa keeps them in stock if you have one nearby.
well i got the swr meter because they charge 15 bucks here to tune it for me so id rather sped another five so i can tune it when ever..

Yeah i got some spade connectors to put them in the fuse slot as well as a loop to ground the neg to a bolt.
I jus wanna ask which one would be better for less interference, the way im about to do it or the directly to the battery way?
So directly to the battery is best then?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by studmuffin
well i got the swr meter because they charge 15 bucks here to tune it for me so id rather sped another five so i can tune it when ever..

Yeah i got some spade connectors to put them in the fuse slot as well as a loop to ground the neg to a bolt.
I jus wanna ask which one would be better for less interference, the way im about to do it or the directly to the battery way?
So directly to the battery is best then?
They actually sell these on ethings, it's like a fuse standoff, let me google and see if i can find it....

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit

.....In review number 3 the guy even used it to hook up a cb! You can buy them at SOME o'reilys, autozone, advance etc...just depends what the store stocks.