Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starts but dies unless you keep on the gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs down Starts but dies unless you keep on the gas

Hello everyone need some help here. I own a 99 Cherokee sport. I bought the jeep a few months ago. I have the "no bus error" for starters im pretty sure is caused by a bad CPS. A week or so of driving it one day i was letting it warm up and it stalled out and would not start again, turn the key absolutely nothing, i ended up arcing the starter and it started right up and ran great, but wouldnt start with the key so i hot wired the starter to a push button inside and bypassed the ignition, all was well every once in a while it would bog out and spit and sputter but would clear right out if you stepped on it. Then one day the GF was out wheeling when she called me and said the jeep isnt running good, the next day i tried to take it to work and it fired up and idled great but as soon as i put it in drive it would stall out. it would run fine in park and i could rev it but immediately when putting it into drive it would die. so i parked it and havent messed with it the other day i went out to mess with it and the battery died so i charged it and started it all was well but the second you dont give it gas it dies.

Anybody that can steer me the right way i would greatly appreciate it. Or tell me what you would start with and what you would recommend try thanks!!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

could be a throttle sensor, clogged cat, vacuum leak, etc. Have to start nailing it down a little more. Also, why not fix the starting issue? Could be very simple
Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

The easiest, most obvious, common component to al of these problems is the battery cables. I'd start with a total refresh of the electrical system. Check out cruiser54's "Mostly Renix Tips" - they're not just for Renix!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Tj110712
Hello everyone need some help here. I own a 99 Cherokee sport. I bought the jeep a few months ago. I have the "no bus error" for starters im pretty sure is caused by a bad CPS. A week or so of driving it one day i was letting it warm up and it stalled out and would not start again, turn the key absolutely nothing, i ended up arcing the starter and it started right up and ran great, but wouldnt start with the key so i hot wired the starter to a push button inside and bypassed the ignition, all was well every once in a while it would bog out and spit and sputter but would clear right out if you stepped on it. Then one day the GF was out wheeling when she called me and said the jeep isnt running good, the next day i tried to take it to work and it fired up and idled great but as soon as i put it in drive it would stall out. it would run fine in park and i could rev it but immediately when putting it into drive it would die. so i parked it and havent messed with it the other day i went out to mess with it and the battery died so i charged it and started it all was well but the second you dont give it gas it dies.

Anybody that can steer me the right way i would greatly appreciate it. Or tell me what you would start with and what you would recommend try thanks!!
I just had the exact same problem with my 99 XJ this week. I replaced the CPS, ignition rotor, spark plugs and wires, and the small plate under the distributor cap. it started right up and had the "no bus" on the odometer. This was a result of a disconnected ground wire that connects to the ignition coil bolts. "no bus" reading went away and everything else worked till it stalled on me yesterday. It would crank but no start. My buddy came over and tapped on the ASD relay and it started right up. He tapped it again and turned off. I noticed that the ASD relay was in the wrong place and switched back. I drove it yesterday for bout an hour and a half and had no problems. I drove it again this morning for bout another hour and a half and no problems not even to start it. You might want to start of by checking those relays.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks this helped some, the mostly renix tip post rocks. Going to the parts store today for new terminals and grease, Going to check all my grounds good and clean them up, also going to pick up some electronic contact cleaner and clean all the connecters or most of them. Ill keep you posted
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by PONCHO130
I just had the exact same problem with my 99 XJ this week. I replaced the CPS, ignition rotor, spark plugs and wires, and the small plate under the distributor cap. it started right up and had the "no bus" on the odometer. This was a result of a disconnected ground wire that connects to the ignition coil bolts. "no bus" reading went away and everything else worked till it stalled on me yesterday. It would crank but no start. My buddy came over and tapped on the ASD relay and it started right up. He tapped it again and turned off. I noticed that the ASD relay was in the wrong place and switched back. I drove it yesterday for bout an hour and a half and had no problems. I drove it again this morning for bout another hour and a half and no problems not even to start it. You might want to start of by checking those relays.

I will Definitely check that ground to the ignition coil Bolts. Although i have "no bus" on occasion but if you beat the top of the dash, or slightly push on the cluster itself it will go away. Depending how annoying it has been that day.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Default progress

okay guys i changed out the battery terminals and snipped both negative and positive and peeled back fresh wire cleaned the terminals real good! Also i removed the braided ground from the engine block to the fire wall cleaned it real good wire brushed it, scraped paint away shined it up and re installed. now the jeep will start and run good in park, which is better than before. However immediately after you put it in drive it will spit and sputter and have a small amount of backfire any suggestions to further my search. i Also need to find more grounds than just that braided one. thank all
Old 08-01-2014, 02:28 PM

also im thinking it could be a "TPS" "CPS" OR MAYBE some air idle sensor just woundering what i should try first or if i should keep checking for bad grounds and if so what other major ones are there besides the braided one from engine block to frame. and where are they located.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Tj110712
okay guys i changed out the battery terminals and snipped both negative and positive and peeled back fresh wire cleaned the terminals real good! Also i removed the braided ground from the engine block to the fire wall cleaned it real good wire brushed it, scraped paint away shined it up and re installed. now the jeep will start and run good in park, which is better than before. However immediately after you put it in drive it will spit and sputter and have a small amount of backfire any suggestions to further my search. i Also need to find more grounds than just that braided one. thank all
Your grounding points would be. Battery to fender, oil dipstick, 2 on the coil, and the one you cleaned rear of the head to the firewall, You also have the mounting area between the starter and the engine block. Also make sure that the alternator and the starter terminal are clean and tight.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 PM

Year: 1996

Have you tested fuel pressure? Maybe the NSS? google nss cherokee forum