Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

runaway starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week my jeep wouldn't start. No clicking like with a dead battery or nothin. So immediately I suspected the starter. I had it tested and it tested fine so I put it back in then checked my relays. The starter relay in the fuse box under the hood was toast so I replaced that and still nothing. Then I pressed on the relay with the key out and nothing on and suddenly the starter starts crankin. I turned the key on and pressed in the relay and she started right up. Checked the hot wire from The relay to the starter and it read 0.2 ohms and I'm an electrical idiot so I asked my buddy and he said that means the wire probably has a break somewhere, so I bypassed that wire by unplugging it from the relay and running a new wire from the relay to the connection it goes to on the starter. Now whenever I connect the negative on the battery the starter cranks even with the key off. I'm at a complete loss here. Is it possible that somehow all at the same time my relay blew, the wire broke in at least a couple places, AND the starter solenoid welded together even though it bench tested fine? I tried tapping it a little with a hammer too and it just keeps crankin away. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by xjbub93; 08-08-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default runaway starter?

The bypass is causing to crank away. Get rid of that. If the relay works by pressing on it the wire is fine it sounds like the relay contacts are corroded to me. Clean them the best you can and then see if it will start.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:31 AM

I got rid of the wire bypass. Do you mean the contacts inside the fuse box or on the relay itself because the relay is brand new. I'll give that a shot tomorrow though. Thanks for the reply
Old 08-09-2015, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default runaway starter?

Originally Posted by xjbub93
I got rid of the wire bypass. Do you mean the contacts inside the fuse box or on the relay itself because the relay is brand new. I'll give that a shot tomorrow though. Thanks for the reply
Inside the fuse box.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:09 AM

Thanks. Like I said I don't know a single thing about electrical so if it's something simple like that it would be awesome haha
Old 08-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Figured out the issue. Wasn't electrical at all actually. The ignition switch actuator pin broke in half so it wouldn't push my ignition switch into the start position. The weird starter stuff was just because I was jumping the relay. Those damned pins are like 30 bucks though so I'm gonna take it to work and braze it back together. That crappy pot metal they use should be outlawed haha.