Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6CYL
Default Jeep Cherokee Won't Start

I've got a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport that has issues starting. A while back it would start, i would start my commute to work and stop off for a coffee on the way, and after leaving the store I came out (three minutes later) and the Jeep wouldn't start. The radio and lights would work though. After work, about 8 hours later, it started right up. This happened a few times until it got to the point where i would not start for a few days. I had my brother in law look at it and he said it started right up for him a few times but he cleaned the battery terminal and some wires that had some gunk on them and it worked great for a day and a half then after i had stopped off at the grocery store and ten minutes later at the gas station it died again. But alas the next day I went to get it and it started right up. Now it's sitting in my parking lot not starting. My brother in law suspects the starter itself needs to be replaced. Any thoughts or anyone have similar issues? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

my 89 volvo did this a couple of times, hooking up jumpers or a jump pack did the trick right away... never found out what the hell was wrong. but im sure with a voltmeter you can run some quick tests to double check alt., bat., etc...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:35 AM

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: 4.0L 6CYL

I doubt it's the battery since it's relatively new. I've not tried jump cables or anything. Does it sound like the starter to anyone, or another potential problem?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4 liter Straight 6

this happened to me with my other 95 i had before the one i have now. My girlfriends dad is an engineer and took a look at it and said the starter was shot. I went to the junkyard got one for 45 bucks and it worked like a champ after that.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 PM

There's a few years difference but this may be relevant. If you have a auto center mounted tranny try to jiggle the shifter a little bit (just make sure you don't start it in reverse!).

There's a sensor in there that gets mucked up sometimes and it requires some persuasion to get it cranking. Usually I hit the switch, jiggle it left and right while hitting the ignition and it'll start after a little movement.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4 liter Straight 6

Well before i had him come over and take a look at it, i would hit it and it would start right(eventually it stopped working). But before he left he put a flat head screwdriver between two things(wires were connected to them with nuts holding them on) on the starter and it started right up, he said it was a bad connection somewhere in the starter.