Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

View jerry's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default injector #3

Had my 01 that I just purchased start misfiring on me the other day and posted a question about it. After trying to figure it out myself I finally just took in in to the dealer. They flushed my injectors for me and told me it was fine the first day because it wouldnt misfire for them. I told them it had to sit running for a while and get hot but they didnt believe me. Before I got it home in 5 o'clock traffic it did it again. I turned it around and brought it back. They just called me and said they moved the #3 to #2 position and the computer gave a misfire #2 code. Same when they moved it to #1 spot. So its definately a bad #3 injector. Heres my question- why do so many #3 injectors that I read about on this forum go out? Is it a bad design of the intake where they sit(picking up too much heat ?) And if it is it seems to me shielding it with a plug boot would make the heat prob. worse since it is likely not radiant heat otherwise all the inj. would misfire. Can anyone shed some light ?
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

View funkle95xj's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

The 4.0, especially in the xj, is well known for this. It is caused by the #3 injector being located extremely close to one of the exhaust manifold pipes. In this area, it is exposed to alot of heat soak. This can lead to the fuel inside the injector vaporizing, leading to a misfire condition due to a temporary lack of liquid fuel flow. Obviously being exposed to higher than normal heat can lead to premature failure of the injector as well. I'm sure having to deal with this vaporized fuel condition isn't exactly easy on the injector either.. A good way to counter this and prevent it from happening is to get some of that quality heatsheild tape (available at most auto parts stores) and wrap each injector with it, like a mini heat shield. This can help lower the temperature enough to stop, or at least minimize this condition.
HTH!!
31" Kumho AT's
All the usual go faster parts (still doesn't go much faster)
And a bunch of other stuff...

What does it all add up to? A bunch of wasted time and money. A bunch of time and money I wouldn't take back even if I could!
funkle95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

View jerry's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

thanks my friend, I'll try it !
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech